• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leak at 231 t-case shift lever...

Crawler

NAXJA Forum User
Howdy folks...

I was underneath the Jeep today and noticed a couple of drops of bright red fluid on the bottom of my 231 t-case (and nothing really to speak of in the driveway). I then traced the "wet" up to the area of where the shift lever is connected. Did a search on the subject of leaks at the shift lever and got next to nothing.

Q: Does anyone here know what I might be up against in repairing this and care to offer a little bit of insight?

I'm one of those guys who likes to fill a t-case until it starts spilling out and then give it a couple or three extra pumps and quickly replace the plug. Could I have over-done 'er a time too many and blown a seal? Does the t-case vent anywhere? I've also noticed a bit of what feels like slightly more than normal front driveline vibration at highway speeds. Front driveline preliminary inspection: appears to be OK. Got my fingers crossed. Have not yet checked t-case fluid level.

'93 Cherokee 4.0, AW4, 231, 1.5" lift, 235/75/15 BFG A/T's @ 3.55:1 & trac-lok, 120k.

Thanks in advance...

Mr. Crawler... creepy as all get-out!

Last edited:
I changed the "O" ring in the shift lever about a dozen years ago in my old 87. Don´t remember there being any major problems (other than ordering the "O" ring), the nut wanted to loosen up (after awhile), a good lock washer and a dab of Loc Tite cured that.

First, extra fluid does nothing except make it more likely to leak. The shift shaft is sealed by an o-ring with a nylon packing ring on top of it. Remove the shift lever, pull the packing ring and o-ring with a pick. Reinsert the o-ring and packing ring with some lube and bolr the lever back on.

Back