• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Magnet on oil pan...

mikeny59

NAXJA Member #300
Read the recent thread on 4.0 longevity, need opinions. Few years back I saw this product that basically is a string of magnets that wrap around the oil filter, picks up ferrous metal. I think Caterpillar endorsed it, lost the website.

Well, since then, I threw a couple of magnets on the end of my Mobil1 filters, know they work 'cause I cut open the filter to see just how superior it was. The cheesy magnets I used did catch the metal filings I threw in there for the experiment, but then again no oil was pumping through the filter, obviously.

Now I attached this big butt speaker magnet to the bottom of the oil pan, near the drain plug, and just before I drop the hot oil, I remove the magnet. I never bothered to filter what came out, I guess next oil change I should follow through.:rolleyes:

Whaduhya think, snake oil or some significant, if minor improvement? Magnets are free, so what the hey, trannys do it all the time.

I bought a drain plug that has a magnet on the end of it.

When I pull the plug to drain the pan, I can see shavings and such on the magnet tip of the plug.

I think there is something to having a magnet there somewhere.

I am not sure I see the benefit of having a magnet on the outside of the pan, becuase, although they may be keeping shavings under control, there is no way to clean them out without dropping the pan....unless you release the magnets and rely gravity to pull them all out with the old oil.

I think I will stick to magnetized drain plugs. You can get them at any old parts store...AutoZone, NAPA, etc...

I had the magnet lying around, and am guessing that the flow of the hot oil will carry off the metal that's adjacent to the drain plug hole. It was just one of those things; mauled a brand new 6.5" woofer, tore the frame off, slapped it on.

The only downside I can think of is that the magnet may have magnetized the oil pan, and the shavings are either just sitting there, or at least some of them flow out.

What would suggest the best material to filter the old oil through, especially if I'm careful and decide to put it back in. It's Mobil 1 w/about 300 miles on the oil change.

Thanks,

The same filter that is used to filter automotive paint, looks like a big stiff coffee filter out of a malita coffee maker...takes time though... a drain plug that has a magnet in the center is better though. The big magnet will magnetize the pan.

I use 2 of those on my Mobil 1 oil filter and they are so freakin strong, its almost impossible to remove them. I have a few of them laying around. I may place one on the oil drain plug.

If the magnet is going to work in the oil pan/drain plug (which they do work) it will work just as well on the outside of the oil filter. But on the filter you don't have to worry about cleaning it out. You just throw it away. I have also seen in the past circular magnets that stick to the filter. Some with neat-o cooling fins too.

this company makes what you want.a bit pricey but

FilterMag.com

ra-oil-filter-magnet.jpg

I wonder how well the magnet ring from a 10" infinity subwoofer would work wrapped around the filter. Hell, cut it up with a cutwheel and put a pice on the tranny and fuel filters as well. TOTAL MAGNETIC PROTECTION!!! bwahahahaha

That Filter Mag product is what I was talking about, the cost motivated me to use those magnets that were lying around in the garage.

Those rare-earth magnets are enticing, I'll try to find a magnetic drain plug in the meantime.

Appreciate all the different inputs, thanks.

Back