• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Slip yoke travel

dialogue

NAXJA Forum User
I just swapped in a ford 8.8 axel into my 87 XJ. I have a 242 TC, stock height, no lift planned for the future. The XJ is a daily driver. My driveshaft's slip yoke measures 3 and 3/4" on the part that slips into the transfer case. My TC shaft extends about 1/4" past the TC tailshaft housing. I beleive that I now have 1 & 1/4" of driveshaft slip yoke on the TC Shaft with the weight of the XJ on the axels, when I have full drop the distance is 1".

It looks like I could lengthen my driveshaft 1 & 1/2" to 2". How far should the slip yoke go into the TC? I can take the yoke only and it will go all the way in which is 3 & 3/4"

How much yoke should be on the TC shaft? How much is too much?
thanks,
Mike

My rule of thumb is 1 1/2 x the diameter at the minimum. Rusty's has the YJ style yoke for around $60.00 that will give you another 1/4" or so of engagement and a bunch more clearance for droop.

Back