• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

breaking point between 27 and 29?

xj incubus

NAXJA Forum User
ok so the consensus seems to be that 96 was the year when jeep started putting 29 spline 8.25's in the XJ's, to replace the 27 spline. my question is, how do i find out whether my 96 has a 27 spline or 29 spline 8.25, without taking the shafts out (i dont have the tools to do it)?

could i call a dealer with my VIN number? i'd rather not deal with those idiots, because i doubt they would know/find out. and even if they did, it would probably be a 45 minute to an hour phone call, just to get one question answered. thanks in advance.

All it takes is a 1/2 inch socket and a 5/16 or 8mm socket to remove the cover bolts and the crossshaft retainer bolt. And your right, the dealer has no idea what you're talking about, they've probalby never even opened up a differential before.

xj incubus said:
ok so the consensus seems to be that 96 was the year when jeep started putting 29 spline 8.25's in the XJ's, to replace the 27 spline. my question is, how do i find out whether my 96 has a 27 spline or 29 spline 8.25, without taking the shafts out (i dont have the tools to do it)?

could i call a dealer with my VIN number? i'd rather not deal with those idiots, because i doubt they would know/find out. and even if they did, it would probably be a 45 minute to an hour phone call, just to get one question answered. thanks in advance.
Someone will probably post that if it's whichever half of 96 it's one and then the others are the other, but from what I recall it seems that they have popped up throughout the year (27's that is) with few even being on the end of the production run ones. So the idea mentioned above about popping the cover and counting the splines is the best way to verify.

explorer said:
All it takes is a 1/2 inch socket and a 5/16 or 8mm socket to remove the cover bolts and the crossshaft retainer bolt.

might as well put fresh gear oil in there too

and youll need RTV to make a gasket...

but its quite simple

here are some pics of an 8.8 diff (taken apart to change the wheel bearing - but the diff pics still hold true)

http://tatooine.jedi.com/digicam/2004/20041216/

My '96 built 10/96 (driver's door panel) has 29.

Just open it up and count. It's an hour and a half job if everything goes smoothly.

Back