• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Popping sound when I roll down windows

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys my 90's windows pop and sound horrible when I crank them down, not to mention they resist going down. Is there a quick and painless fix for this or is something that I should just live with. This summer I'm going to try to find some new doors at the junkyard hopefully with power locks/windows and do a conversion so I would only need a somewhat temporary fix. Can anyone think of what to do or what's wrong with them?
Thanks

Sounds like the gear might be stripped on the crank and it is in bad need of some lubracation. or on some the doors are bad about cracking in that area

Last edited:
I've tried shooting lube everywhere I could think of, is there a specific spot on them?

the only thing in the doors that could cause that is the window regulators. lubing them wont help. they ned to be replaced. not a hard job at all. yours are riveted to the door behind the door panel. just grind the rivets off and you can mount the new ones with license plate screws. thats what we do and it works fine

I used to have a similar problem with my manual windows.....

The window crank actually moves a steel cable which is much like a drain pipe clog remover snake.

The cable thing is supposed to ride inside a hard plastic tube but sometimes the tube falls off leaving the cable to whip around inside the door....it generally makes a draggin, smacking sound about once per crank revolution.

Take the door skin off and look in the lower cavity of the door toward the front. You'll see what I'm talking about and if this is your problem the plastic tube will probably be laying inside your door on the bottom.

Yeah my driver's side front is actually the one that does it the worst and its still on that one. The passenger side fell off and its still quiet but I think that does have something to do with my prob. Binding up maybe?

Back