• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 XJ Wont Start

Moriarty581

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I Know it sounds stupid. and it probably is. This is the first time the old girl hasnt started for me. I parked it a couple weeks ago with a dead battery I jumped drove it around alittle and parked it ... so now when i go to jump it again today the engine cranks but nothing. kept cranking.. still nothing. it had been raining so i hit the cap and rotor with WD40 still nothing. else could have changed just sitting there for 2 weeks. It ran great when i parked it. the starter seems a bit slow but not too bad. other then that what else could have changed. thanks for helping this idiot out.

Usually this set of symptoms is the crank pos. sensor. Sometimes unpluging the connector and re connecting it will let you get it started. The sensor is located on the upper right quarter of the bellhousing at about 2 o'clock looking from front. The wire and connector comes up between the fire wall and the intake manifold. If this gets you started go straight to your local dealer and get a new one. Two bolts (11mm i think) about 20" of extension and mabey 1/2 hour and its fixed. The only thing to watch is when you remove the old one and put the new one in there is a plastic cap that it fits through which can pop out and fall into the bellhousing, if its even still there. Just be carefull and take your time. Should be no problem.

Moriarty581 said:
Ok I Know it sounds stupid. and it probably is. This is the first time the old girl hasnt started for me. I parked it a couple weeks ago with a dead battery I jumped drove it around alittle and parked it ... so now when i go to jump it again today the engine cranks but nothing. kept cranking.. still nothing. it had been raining so i hit the cap and rotor with WD40 still nothing. else could have changed just sitting there for 2 weeks. It ran great when i parked it. the starter seems a bit slow but not too bad. other then that what else could have changed. thanks for helping this idiot out.

http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/gif/large/0900823d80152484.gif

Here is a sheet that shows where the sensor is located. Have you checked for spark at coil wire. BADGE714 [email protected]

I'm not the most technically gifted but I had a similar problem with my 89 recently. It would turn over but not fire. I took it to my cousin (he can fix anything) and found that there was spark going into the coil but none coming out. We checked the module and the coil and they were fine. It turned out that the MAP sensor was causing problems. He tapped it a few times while I turned it over and it started right up. Once we replaced the sensor with one he had lying around it has been running great.

Back