• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vacuum Tank

GSequoia

Everyone says I'm a jerk.
NAXJA Member
Hey Guys!

Looks like my tank is cracked, my vents won't stay on the dash vent if there's any load on my engine...have no load and they blow out, so I feel save to say it's that.

Anyway, anybody know where I can get a new one on teh cheap? Finding parts XJ's here in California isn't exactly easy, and I'd like to trust a new one more.

Sequoia

Not sure about where you could get a direct replacement from but I know guys with Broncos use Coffee cans instead. I think it's actually an improvement over stock because the cans don't come from Ford. :)

Before you buy a new blimp, follow the vacuum lines from the blimp back under the battery tray to the firewall. Very often the lines are badly deteriorated under the battery tray.

If you really need a new blimp, I'm exploring the possibility of using a discharged propane tank (the small cylinders that come with BernzaMatic hand torches. There's a valve on the side that looks like a standard automotive Scrader-type valve and I'm wondering if an adapter would screw in there, resulting in a cheap tank that's not as easy to split as the plastic OEM doohickies.

You can also use expired (or new) oxygen tanks. These are the Bernz-o-matic tanks about the size of a standard propane tank. I have one of these torches, and always have expired tanks laying around. I've found you can cut off the top, punch the valve inside, and thread them with and 1/8" NPT pipe tap.

I've used them for lots of stuff as they are nice tanks,

Actually last time I was at a boneyard I think I saw total of 2 tanks (with 3 xj's that were there)..... you might want to look into that...

Kejtar

Why not use epoxy to seal the crack? No one's gonna see it.

Back