• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Windshield wiper motor...need help QUICK!!

Dvipercop

NAXJA Forum User
Yesterday I was driving down the street in the rain when all of a sudden I heard loud pop from the windshield wiper motor. My wipers stopped and it made an awful grinding sound. I took the cover off today (in between rain showers) and found out that pretty much everything in there, besides the motor itself, is broken. The arm that actually holds the motor up broke in two and the arm that connects from the motor swing arm to the drivers side wiper popped off. After getting all the pieces out and inspecting them further, it appears one of the arms is also bent. Now comes my problem. I can't find a pic anywhere on the net of a stock wiper setup fora 1992 Cherokee sport. Is there anyone out there that would be willing to remove the cover just in front of the windshield and snap some photos of their wiper setup so I at least know what is broken and what is not? Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

ha it is raining near me too so no pics right now but i hope this will help somewhat. a friend of mine had the same prob the motor/gears were fine but the linkage was broken. basicly the whole thing motor and linkage comes out fairly easily. if i recal correctly there are 2 torx screws near either wiper take those off and there should be a bolt or two that holds the motor in place and it should all wiggle out thru that little access hole. go to the junk yard and find a good one and pop it in. unless you can weld you old one back together.

I managed to get all the pieces and everything out just fine (and just in time). After sitting here staring at the $#@! thing, I realized that it's been broken before. The wiper motor is welded to the crossbrace that bolts in with the torx bolts. That brace is welded like mad all over the place. Apparently it was doomed from the beginning. My wuestion now is, in the stock setup, was the wiper motor welded to that bar? Or is that something the person before me did when it broke? This all wouldn't be that big of a deal, except that I live in Portland, OR and rain is the forecast for the next week(s)!!

Ok, I got the wiper setup completely changed out thanks a local U-Pull-It. Now my next question is when I turn the wipers on to a delayed setting, they actually turn completely on. When I turn the setting to actual "on", a box directly under the steering wheel starts making a clicking sound, but the wipers work just fine. And last but not least, when I turn the switch to "fast", the wipers continue like normal and the clicking stops. The previous owner installed a new "cruise-control/wiper" stick, but it seems to be fine(cruise, however, does not work). Anyone have any idea how to make the clicking stop, and/or, get my wipers to be on time-delay, etc????

hold the wireing harnesses next to each other and see if the wires are in the same place if not move the wires untill they match up and you should be ok (i think) or on second thought how about putting the old motor in with the new linkage

Back