• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Have welder, will modify.

crazyoffroader

NAXJA Forum User
As the title says, I have a welder(MIG) and I was wondering what sort of projects I could take on for relatively cheap.

I was thinking about doing a cheromanche, dovetailing the front and rear, full exo (have tubing already and Profesional welder friends) and bracing the front suspension mounts/moving the rear shock mounts upwards, etc...

There was a thread about cheap modifications, but I can't seem to find it anymore.

I have $1000 to work with, and 2 jeeps for spare parts. Ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance

Why dovetail? Simply cut away the back of the Cherokee- or simply remove the roof, build a roll cage to replace the stiffness lost, then take it down to a boat shop & have a soft top made. Or build a tubular frame to replace the back hatch (which seems to be a torsionally stressed panel) that'll handle the weight of a swing-a-way spare tire carrier & a drop gate. Cut out the rockers & replace them with tubing. Better yet, make a track bar mount at the chassis so it pivots vertically instead of horizontally as it does from the factory

MistWolf said:
Why dovetail? Simply cut away the back of the Cherokee- or simply remove the roof, build a roll cage to replace the stiffness lost, then take it down to a boat shop & have a soft top made. Or build a tubular frame to replace the back hatch (which seems to be a torsionally stressed panel) that'll handle the weight of a swing-a-way spare tire carrier & a drop gate. Cut out the rockers & replace them with tubing. Better yet, make a track bar mount at the chassis so it pivots vertically instead of horizontally as it does from the factory
I was thinking of doing the front end like BIGWOODY did, like this:
Picture031.jpg

not realy a dovetail, more like a boat.

If you know how to weld and your welds are sound (they actually hold shit not just look pretty), weld up some bumpers, do a roof rack if you want. Skids, bracing.

Back