• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"strong Seats"

Rocketman

NAXJA Forum User
WITHOUT spending a fortune for a new seat, (OR A JUNKYARD SEAT) anyone know the best seat for those "clydesdale size" drivers? Ones that recline, without being in reclining position, so-to-speak. I have a place that will strip and rebuild my driver seat, reinforce the frame with 1/4 inch plate (welded) and repack with high density foam for about $240. It's a custom auto interior place in the Chicago suburbs so I'm at a loss on what a job like this would go for anyway.

Is that a good/bad price, can an aftermarket seat be had for a comparable price? Past experiences? Mine is a gray cloth recliner with headrest. Manual not power. Seat/cover is in otherwise good shape.

Last edited:
I had my seat break on my 98 about 2+ years ago, took it to an auto upholstery shop, little hole in the wall 3 bay garage in an old industrial section of allentown Pa. They removed the seat, stripped it, rewelded and reinforced some other weak welds, gusseted the seat, repacked it with better foam, reassembled and reinstalled it, 4 hours it was there, dropped it off at around 8am, picked it up after lunch. They charged me $50 cash and I tipped the guy another $20 after I sat in it. I think $250 is a mite high, you can get a nice corbeau seat for that price... YMMV
I also did some drooling over a 58 Merc that had been chopped, they were doing the interior as well as 30 something ford hot rod.

Back