• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bulletproof AW4?

SeanP

NAXJA Forum User
On our snow run this weekend my engine and tranny worked hard to get thru 2-3 feet of heavy wet snow. At two points I felt the tranny or torque converter slip when shifting into reverse (yes I got stuck with 38s). I stopped and let everything cool down and this resolved the situation. I don't like the idea of the auto failing in the back country because that's pretty much a deal breaker/gotta have someone drag me out incident.

This got me thinking:

Is there a way to make the AW4 bulletproof for extended snow and sand trips?

Should I just switch to a 5 speed?

Other than hanging a pedal, pluming a master cylinder and swapping the computer, how hard would it be to put a manual into my 97XJ?

SeanP said:
On our snow run this weekend my engine and tranny worked hard to get thru 2-3 feet of heavy wet snow. At two points I felt the tranny or torque converter slip when shifting into reverse (yes I got stuck with 38s). This got me thinking:

Other than hanging a pedal, pluming a master cylinder and swapping the computer, how hard would it be to put a manual into my 97XJ?
Are you running a good cooler? Is your fluid up to the full mark? ANY auto will get very hot in those circumstances which is harder on an auto then just about anything. If you haven't already throw a good cooler on it and bypass the stock one thats in the radiator.

This will help considerably

Stick with the auto.

Drain that sucker, change the fluid and the filter, refill with a good synthetic fluid. Get a bigger cooler, the biggest one you can find.

CRASH

SeanP said:
On our snow run this weekend my engine and tranny worked hard to get thru 2-3 feet of heavy wet snow. At two points I felt the tranny or torque converter slip when shifting into reverse (yes I got stuck with 38s). I stopped and let everything cool down and this resolved the situation. I don't like the idea of the auto failing in the back country because that's pretty much a deal breaker/gotta have someone drag me out incident.

This got me thinking:

Yeah, mine got a little hot bucking deep snow a few months ago......when I realized it I backed off. The hardest thing on an auto (fluid heat up) is continual pushing hard against the torque converter, like what happens in low gear in deep snow. I run a big cooler and my fluid was recently changed, but I should probably still change the fluid again. That scenario is going to heat up the fluid no matter what auto tranny you're running. Like has been said, change the fluid (no filter in an AW4, Andy) and make sure you have a big cooler. Mine also bypasses the radiator. The best way to trash a trans is running on fluid that is bad from being too hot.

Sean, nice to hear you had some trail time........

:D

Goatman said:
(no filter in an AW4, Andy)

Disregard any future AW4 advice you may get from me. I'm dumb when it comes to autos.

CRASH

Goatman said:
Yeah, mine got a little hot bucking deep snow a few months ago......when I realized it I backed off. The hardest thing on an auto (fluid heat up) is continual pushing hard against the torque converter, like what happens in low gear in deep snow. I run a big cooler and my fluid was recently changed, but I should probably still change the fluid again. That scenario is going to heat up the fluid no matter what auto tranny you're running. Like has been said, change the fluid (no filter in an AW4, Andy) and make sure you have a big cooler. Mine also bypasses the radiator. The best way to trash a trans is running on fluid that is bad from being too hot.

Sean, nice to hear you had some trail time........

My 88 has a filter attatched to the pan. It is an AW4 too.

A while ago, I read an article about T and J Performance's JeepSpeed rig. It mentioned a Mogi-rebuilt AW4, and then later on, an Art Carr(?) bump shifter attached to it. I haven't ever found a bump shifter or gated shifter for the AW4, due to electronic control of the shift points, as I recall.

It seems that a rebuild of this kind (whatever Mogi did to that AW4) would also boost reliability along with the big cooler. Not to mention the fact that maybe you get control of the 1-2 shift w/o the electrical bypassing mentioned in other threads w/regards to that 1-2 shift.

Mogi doesn't have a website, and I haven't made any calls to them, but they seem to get a lot of business from the desert racing guys, based on their frequent mention on some of those types of boards I've seen.

I looked into modifying the AW4 at one time. I just settled on a decent cooler and a fluid change. I haven't even found anybody that makes shift kits for them.

IIRC there was a thread a few weeks ago that had some info on modded AW4's, but the trannys where in a Toyota RWD car, and not called AW4 (supposed to be the same though). It was reported that they where holding up to 500hp engines without much trouble.

Iam going to add a cooler this spring seems everyone is saying to bypass the stock one in radiator,wouldnt it be better to use both an add on and the stocker? Just wondering

I want photographic and possibly movie proof that this thing runs under its own power. :wave:

OneTonXJ said:
I want photographic and possibly movie proof that this thing runs under its own power. :wave:

I saw it.

Well not actually driving, but it did start!

CRASH

P.S. Ashman: 3.8 Atlas, 5.38's, 38" tires.

LouisianaZJ said:
do NOT run synthetic as suggested above :sunshine:

Interesting, we've had VERY good luck running synthetic in Supra auto's (A340), which is nearly identical to the AW4. The boys that flog these 500 hp beasts down the dragstrip report very good shift quality and cooler temps.

What is your reasoning?

CRASH

JnJ said:
My AW4s have filters..........

So did mine, its about $30 from Autozone.

Back