• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Not starting

jeepbub

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 90 cherokee, and the other day it decided not to start. I have found out that I am not getting spark so I changed the cap and rotor and I still didn't get spark. I was about to change the coil but I am not sure how to check and see if the coil is any good. Is their a way to do this without buying a new coil and just replacing it. I am getting power to the coil.

jeepbub said:
I have a 90 cherokee, and the other day it decided not to start. I have found out that I am not getting spark so I changed the cap and rotor and I still didn't get spark. I was about to change the coil but I am not sure how to check and see if the coil is any good. Is their a way to do this without buying a new coil and just replacing it. I am getting power to the coil.

Save your money on the coil for now. Probably a faulty CPS connection or the CPS sensor may have gone bad. CPS is on top of the bellhousing and you should qualify the wiring (particularly the connector) running to it.

just a thought, but did you check to see if you are getting fuel? if you're not getting fuel, you won't get spark. i've spent a lot of time lately trying to figure out why i'm not getting spark, but it turns out that i'm not getting fuel. that explains it! you can test the coil yourself, just look in your repair manual, or you can take it to auto zone and they can test it for you.

jeepbub said:
Thanks XJXJ perfect fix, Wiggled the wires and it started right up. Thanks Again.

Thats a really temporary fix, pull the connector apart and clean it out but be prepared for a repeat episode at any time, they usually fail at traffic lights or in the middle of an intersection so be advised....

Already replaced the conecter with a better one. Thanks, I found the pin on the connecter was broke off and I had another one sitting around so I just changed it.

Back