• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best lift kit under $600 for my '96 XJ?

axistang

NAXJA Forum User
Im looking to order a lift kit Monday. I'm not really familiar with modding a Jeep I was wondering what the best lift kit under $600 would be? Should I go ahead and order the Rusty's 4.5" lift kit (around $650) or stick with a Tuff Country 3.5" EZ Ride or EZ Flex kit? I have a set of 31" tires going on my '96 Cherokee Monday just want to have some offroad fun while still being on a budget. I want to get the biggest possible lift kit with a decent ride and not need to spring for a SYE setup just yet. Any input it welcome. I drive the jeep maybe 200 miles a week suburb and no highway driving. Mostly go down trails and mud holes.

Thanks,

Cody

Tomken any good? Just going thru some old posts. If I plan on upgrading again in about a year, is there really any advange in going with packs -vs- AALs ?

budget boost + 31x10.5r15's + Seat time + gas + fixing broken part after you go wheeling - estimated cost = 600

done

Would going with the Rough Country 4.5" lift kit for $500 shipped be a bad deal? AAL but seems like a decent price:

It includes everything needed to do the job right. It contains new front variable rate coil springs, front lower control arms w/ new bushings and sleeves which maintain proper alignment, transfer case drop, sway bar drop brackets, track bar bracket, brake line extension brackets, rear add-a-leaf springs, and now this kit comes with shackles for the rear instead of the block and u-bolts that are pictured. The shackles provide the same amount of lift, more travel, and a much better ride. All necessary hardware which is zinc plated, complete instructions, and four 8000 series premium shocks w/ black shock boots (other color boots available for $10 for all 4). A slip yoke eliminator is NOT required with this kit.

I'd go with nothing but RE. $600.00 is a good start towards an RE kit, or piece an RE kit together used from the "for sale" forums here and on other boards. Kid of hard to abuse RE parts, so what you get used "should" be in good condition, and a lot cheaper.

Dan.

A friend has Rusty's 4.5" kit. He likes the front (and it seems to still be at or near 4.5" after a couple yrs.) the rear, however, is a different story. He got full leaf packs, but they sagged about an inch and have stayed there. He does not have an SYE and this is on a 91.

Another friend went with RE 4.5 (not sure if superflex or super ride) and full leaf pack and he sits slightly higher in the rear. Both seem to have been trouble free and have seen mild-medium off road use.

Two points:

1. You only need 3" of lift to run 31x10.50 tires. If you're on a budget, don't buy more lift than you really need.

2. You have a 1996. That was the first year for the new transfer case output shaft design. With any lift at all, the probability is around 95% that you WILL need a SYE, or at the very least a transfer case drop. You might get lucky, but unless you are prepared to deal with the possibility (probability), don't start on lifting your vehicle.

I think the biggest bang for the buck is the Rusty's 3" with the add-a-leaf. It's under $250. My XJ is not sagging at all right now in it's stock form so I'm just going with the add-a-leaf. Not sure if this works for your situation but it's another idea for you. With this kit you can run 31's I'm told.

Just my .02 worth.

how bout running a budget boost for $100 bux or so and maybe a locker? that wold be well under the $600 mark and you could go many, MANY more places with a locker? just my .02 good luck!!!!

I went with the RC 4.5" lift kit and Im ordering a rear locker. Thanks for all the info. A little bit over budget already, but Im going to go ahead and order a snorkel after a little underwater experience earlier today. Cant wait for all my parts to get here. Any suggestions on a locker ???

axistang said:
I went with the RC 4.5" lift kit and Im ordering a rear locker. Thanks for all the info. A little bit over budget already, but Im going to go ahead and order a snorkel after a little underwater experience earlier today. Cant wait for all my parts to get here. Any suggestions on a locker ???

you have just started down a slipery slope...

things to look out for :
Rear end driveline Vibrations (cured by $500 SYE and driveshaft)
front end vibrations (cured by $200 worth of adjustable upper control arms)
weird trackbar flexing issues (cured by $250 worth of HD adjustable trackbar and mount)

i started on this path long ago, and am still paying for it...

thanks for the advice. i will prob go ahead and order the track bar i bent mine the other night on a rock (d'oh) that wasn't a fun experience. the UCAs can wait til i get some bad vibes from it.

you have asked about lockers? are you locking the front first or the rear? if doing the rear first i dunno some swear by 1 brand others say that brad suck and swear by another brand good luck... if doing the front first and it appears you are on a budget i'd look into an aussie. they are pretty cheap at like 250-300. only draw back to them is there used to be a pretty long wait for them, but i think they have corrected that problem.

good luck. let me know how you make out with that lift ya got. i too am in the lift market and there is so much out there and sooooo many opinions on all of it.

if you cant afford the SYE kit right away than you might get away with lowering the tcase an inch with either a solid steel block or poly graphite(the hard kind) bushings. I prefer the steel because it is a solid chunk that takes up more space rather than little solid bushings. Not to knock RC but i have heard negative things bout them. A friend of mine had their kit and his rear had no flex and his front had a killer knocking sound. Still wheeled though. I would have went with RE 3.5 super flex and the tcase lowering on that budget.

-Mike

Installed the lift kit. I'm happy with the ride and no vibes at 85 mph. Have only been down a few little trails for now til I get the lockers and gears. I'm guessing the front spring will start to sag a little and even out with the rear ??? Thanks for all the info.

lift_001.sized.jpg

lift_002.sized.jpg

lift_003.sized.jpg

lift_004.sized.jpg

lift_005.sized.jpg

lift_006.sized.jpg

lift_007.sized.jpg

lift_008.sized.jpg

so ya went with the tuff country?

I was looking into the ez flex because is 1100 bucks installed right here in olympia.

and if I put on some tj flares I could go with the 33's i wanted!

to answer your question, no the front will probably never level with the rear. I wouldnt be suprised if the rear settled more. You may want to go ahead and get a lift shackle to make it look even. what you have is 1 leaf trying to fight the arch of 4 others, and it is a losing battle. If you dont want to do a shackle, you could live with it untill you can afford full packs. RE uses the same packs for the 4.5 kit as the 3.5 kit, just with a shackle, so you may pick up some used packs and add a shackle later...

Good luck
Matt

Back