• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TJ Flare Install?!

Alright, so I'm sure people are getting tired of me asking this, but I'm not getting many answers either. (Those who have answered thanks, I just need a little more help) I'm trying to install the front TJ flares on the front of my "98 XJ. I was wondering if anyone had pictures of how they did this? Also, what did you use to hold them on? Cutting tool wise I have a grinder and metal cutting plyers.
Thanks

Go buy yourself a pair of tin snips from Home Depot. I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow for you. Real easy to do, took about half an hour to do. I used some 1/4"-20 x 3/4" button head screws with nylock nuts and flat washers on both sides. I'll get pictures of that too. Do you already have the flares?

Some people install them with zip-ties. One reason for this is that if you happen to get the flare caught on something, the ties will break or release before you damage the flare or fender. If you don't mind carrying a pack with you it, you could also just cut them off when you get to a trail so you don't have to worry about the flares and just reinstall them with new ties when you're ready to hit the road again.

Thanks guys.
That would be great if you could get some pictures for me! I have the flares already. Tin snips? I mentioned I had cutting plyers, which I used for some body trimming earlier. Same thing or something different? I'm pretty sure I want them permantly attached. I like the look and its also my daily driver. I was going to leave the rear with the stock flares, at least for now as I don't know how to weld and the metal seams look like they would need it. Any thoughts on this as well?

I just did my front's today (got too drunk to finish the rear today...lol). Used my dremal to cut the flare and the fender itself, worked really good. Ended up using small bolts, washers and nuts to mount them on. Using self tapping screws for the rear. If you do that make sure you use washers, to help keep the nuts from going through the flare. Sorry didn't take any pics.
Trevor

shotstopper said:
Tin snips? I mentioned I had cutting plyers, which I used for some body trimming earlier. Same thing or something different?
something like this: http://www.usahardware.com/inet/shop/item/21600/icn/20-114132/federal_mogul/m1r.htm

I was going to leave the rear with the stock flares, at least for now as I don't know how to weld and the metal seams look like they would need it. Any thoughts on this as well?
On my 98 I ran the stock rears till I got tired of them popping off on obstacles and I removed them. But while they were on I had trimmed the sheetmetal all the way up to the spot welds and then I trimmed the mounts so that they wouldn't stick out lower.

And check this thread out: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14339 (Seek and ye shall find :D)

I used bolts to attach mine.. I tried the Zip Tie route but it didn’t hold them against the body line enough for my liking. So fare I have only hit them once on a tree and it wasn’t enough to rip them off. If I rip them of it’s time to go flareless anyway.

I also used an air saw to cut mine. Better then anything else by far.

One note is watch the window washer reservoir on the drivers side I put a ¾ inch piece of MDF to cut against to ensure I didn’t cut the bottle. You can see it in one of the pics

Here are some pics of the install and how the trim and bolts worked out.. If you need anymore info let me know..

http://photobucket.com/albums/v332/p1atinum/TJ Flares/

I used tin snips to make the initial cut, and then used a small grinder to even everything out. I just bolted mine, didn’t think about the zip ties, but I like the close fit with the bolts. I also had to cut the little lip off the body side of the flare so it would fit nice and tight on the XJ fender. I also incorporated the little sheet metal brace off the body onto one of the bolts to make the part of the fender where the flare is attached a little more rigid.

e305edc4.jpg

PICT0003.jpg

Last edited:
Back