• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering with Front leaf Springs?

eric91xj

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone have an example to use for steering with a front leaf spring set up? could a Cj or YJ dana 30 be used and change the mounts to spring over? Also with front leafs there really is'nt any need for a trac bar either is there, because i would'nt think the axle could really have much side to side movement when its bolts to leafs.

thanx,

Eric

The wide track D30 found on CJ's were 58" wide, not wide enough for the XJ. Best bet would be a set of 4 door waggoner Dana 44's front and rear. Stronger and at 61" would be perfect for the XJ. Hope this helps. The steering you would have to modify which ever way you went. There is no need for a trac-bar. CJ's never came with one and YJ owners throw them out, just chrysler getting anal about young kids driving the jeeps. I had a 1995 YJ with a 350, stock springs and no trac-bar, it drove fine.

I used my xj's dana 30 on my cj-6 for a while....

I later put on an eb 44 on the cj-6, which is now on an xj.

so you can pretty much put anything on anything.....

a few obvious rules dictate.....

width and which side the pumking is on are the basics, most of the other things can be accomodated.

Cfest2001XX.jpg

however, some axles are better candidates than others.....

some guys around here used EB axles, some others feel tha g-waggies are good, many pros and cons to both. research carefully.

Me, if I had to do it ove agin, I think I would with something full size and high pinion and make changes to tube length to suit my project.

Back