• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ac woes...kinda long

WobblesXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I decided to take a look at my ac since I've been without it since I bought it. After figuring out the compressor wasn't engaging I needed to find out why. After further investigation I noticed some really bum wiring.

The two black wires off the compressor were spliced into the green wires on the tank below the compressor...

here's the green wire it was spliced into, if you look close you can see where they skinned back the cover...
20050326142519_Wobbles 369e.jpg

Next after reading the service manual a bit I find that an orange wire is supposed to go to the two black wires, there's also a org/brown wire for diagnostics (I can't find this wire). There's an orange wire that was laying down beside the compressor that I think is the one to the compressor...

Can anyone confirm this to be the correct orange wire to go to the blacks?
20050326142619_Wobbles 370e.jpg

The service manual also says something about a pressure switch. Would this keep the compressor from coming on? I also cannot find the AC relay, manual says it's under the dash.

And last question. Would low refrigerant keep the compressor from kicking on?

pretty long but I hope someone can help me out. Thanks!

and after all that I forgot to say 88XJ

Yes, low refrigerant will keep the compressor from coming on. If it was short cycling that indicates a little is still left. This is so the compressor won't run dry and destroy it's self.

JoBo

Thanks!

Turns out it is the correct orange wire. I jumped the pressure switch and still nothing. So I changed all four relays on the passenger side fender. Then jumped the switch again and it popped on. Now I gotta go find some refrigerant and where it leaked from.

WobblesXJ said:
Thanks!

Turns out it is the correct orange wire. I jumped the pressure switch and still nothing. So I changed all four relays on the passenger side fender. Then jumped the switch again and it popped on. Now I gotta go find some refrigerant and where it leaked from.

Get the refrigerant with dye in it so you can find the leak.

WobblesXJ said:
Thanks!

They also have a tonic like stuff that contains, oil, refrigent, stop leak and dye. I would use a can of that also.

JoBo

I'd be real careful about what kind of "miracle cures" I started dumping into my air conditioning system. I would put refrigerant into the system, and with it turned off, get a bottle of 409 (yea, the cleaner stuff) and start spraying the fittings at the compressor, expansion valve, condenser etc. (Just follow the lines from the compressor and spray every fitting). Chances are you'll find your leak that way. I'm a firm believer that the only thing that belongs in a refrigeration system of any kind is refrigerant and oil. It is also possible you have air or moisture in your system and it may need to be evacuated after the leak is repaired.If you have specific questions you can p.m. me and I'll atempt to help.

My 2 cents,

Oh yea, been in the air conditioning and refrigeration trade for 25 years and have never had to use dyes or other stuff to find a leak.

azdesertrhino said:
I'd be real careful about what kind of "miracle cures" I started dumping into my air conditioning system. I would put refrigerant into the system, and with it turned off, get a bottle of 409 (yea, the cleaner stuff) and start spraying the fittings at the compressor, expansion valve, condenser etc. (Just follow the lines from the compressor and spray every fitting). Chances are you'll find your leak that way. I'm a firm believer that the only thing that belongs in a refrigeration system of any kind is refrigerant and oil. It is also possible you have air or moisture in your system and it may need to be evacuated after the leak is repaired.If you have specific questions you can p.m. me and I'll atempt to help.

My 2 cents,

Oh yea, been in the air conditioning and refrigeration trade for 25 years and have never had to use dyes or other stuff to find a leak.

Thats a fact about having it evacuated, if you have air in there it won't pull the refergerant in.

I second that!!!

Dyes just gunk up your system and will cause probs down the line.

I would suggest changing the drier - it can be pricey but you won't be sorry.

You can also use plain old dish soap and water in a spray bottle - put about 1/4 - 1/2 inch soap in the botom and fill er up with water, then spray every fitting in the A/C system and look for leaks.

JC95

No Rich,

When there are "non-combustables" such as air or moisture it ususally causes the refrigerant to "freeze" in the metering device or other small openings (in the case of moisture) and air will cause it not to refrigerate hence the warm air from the vents (simplified version).

JC95

88xj has R12 in it unless converted to R132. it wouldn't be cost effective to get the certification and hunt down some cans of R12 on Ebay just to find your leak. if the system is empty there won't be any pressure to leak out. you can use one of the inert gasses to put pressure in the system inorder to check for leaks. nitrogen or helium are easy to find. use a regulator on the tank

here's a good auto AC forum

http://www.autoacforum.com/

good luck

19cherokee92 said:
88xj has R12 in it unless converted to R132. it wouldn't be cost effective to get the certification and hunt down some cans of R12 on Ebay just to find your leak. if the system is empty there won't be any pressure to leak out. you can use one of the inert gasses to put pressure in the system inorder to check for leaks. nitrogen or helium are easy to find. use a regulator on the tank

here's a good auto AC forum

http://www.autoacforum.com/

good luck

19cherokee92 is correct. I would use nitrogen myself. A regulator is a must, nitrogen is very high pressure. Drier change is also an excellent idea.

Back