• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help! Can't get them off!!!!

dwebb944t

NAXJA Forum User
What is the trick to getting the f'ing upper bell housing bolts off. I am using a E-14 star/torq socket and a long extension with a u-joint between the extension and the socket. I have cranked on these suckers, just keeps slipping off, will not break loose.

WTF., any advice appriciated!!!

Dan

Is your shifter still in place? If not, you can reach through the hole in the floor with a long extension to reach those bolts. That's the way we did it on Kejtar's Jeep.

Last tranny I pulled was on a bronco, but here's the trick I was told and used by the tranny shop.

Lift the rig so you can get under it. Put a block of wood under the motor to support it. Support the tranny. Remove the xmember and slowly lower the tranny/engine so that the tranny will drop from the backside down until you can access the top bellhousing bolts from the underside using about a 3 ft extension.

wrong1 said:
Last tranny I pulled was on a bronco, but here's the trick I was told and used by the tranny shop.

Lift the rig so you can get under it. Put a block of wood under the motor to support it. Support the tranny. Remove the xmember and slowly lower the tranny/engine so that the tranny will drop from the backside down until you can access the top bellhousing bolts from the underside using about a 3 ft extension.
When you do that make sure not to put the fan through the radiator or rip off the exhause (IIRC it will bind at one point on the exhaust as you rotate it down)

Ok, I thought of taking of the cross support from the tranny to lower the engine/tranny unit to allow a better angle at the two bolts, but I am not sure how much that would help as I have cranked pretty good on the bolts already.

How close can you get to the bolts with the shifter removed?

Is the E-14 star socket the right size?

TIA

Dan

dwebb944t said:
Ok, I thought of taking of the cross support from the tranny to lower the engine/tranny unit to allow a better angle at the two bolts, but I am not sure how much that would help as I have cranked pretty good on the bolts already.

How close can you get to the bolts with the shifter removed?

Is the E-14 star socket the right size?

TIA

Dan
E-14? that's too big. IIRC it should be E-12.

when using a u-joint and long extension if the bolt is really tight your socket is gonna keep slipping off unless you hold and support the section of your extention between the socket and universal, if your just holding the ratchet and trying to put torque on it the whole thing is bound to move and slip off.

eric

I went through the shifter opening as well after I lowered the trans as much as possible. I tried what you are doing first and couldn't get enough torque from that angle with universal.

I think E-12 is the right size.

Guys...Thanks for the replies..

And yes, the torque is too much for the universal joint.. I may try the shifter removal and drop method to try and get a good shot at it.

As to the size, I tried E-12 it would not go on, does anyone know FOR SURE that it is E-12?

Thanks,

Dan

dwebb944t said:
Guys...Thanks for the replies..

And yes, the torque is too much for the universal joint.. I may try the shifter removal and drop method to try and get a good shot at it.

As to the size, I tried E-12 it would not go on, does anyone know FOR SURE that it is E-12?

Thanks,

Dan
I'm pretty sure that on both of my jeeps it was E12 as well as a brief search of forums brings up E12 as the winner. I think though that in your case you might have damaged the heads a bit by now if you used the wrong size (unless of course someone put different bolt heads on your heep).

And yes, the torque is too much for the universal joint

i wrapped my universal extension in duct tape when getting at these bolts to keep it from moving to much. it worked alot better that way and i was able to remove the bolts from underneath

i took an old 9/16" normal wrench that was fairly long

took the E-12 or w/e it was taht fit (dont remember) and welded it in the closed side of teh wrench

this worked very well.... on my jeep and my friends

when i put the new tranny in, i replaced those stupid things with normal grade 8 bolts

wrong1 said:

doing this will most likely ruin ur motor mounts

Back