• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

90 4.0 Automatic XJ No start.

Carnuts

NAXJA Forum User
Yet another no start situation.
Newer:
Starter
CPS
TPS
Alternator
Starter relay
Battery

I get power until the key is turned then click. If I hook up jumper cables
to it for a few minutes it will start. Take them off and sometimes it wil stay running. But if I turn it off to try re start it without jumping then click again. The battery has a good charge. It will start up my big block Chevy.

Help!!

Last edited:
loose wire on the starter?

my guess
when it gets the first hint of power it jumps off and no contact

Possibly starter solenoid?

Auto zone if I remember right. It is about 6mos old. Never gave me trouble and the one day click. If the starter was going out then it would'nt matter if the truck was jumped or I wouldn't think. Right?

it might the extra juice from being jumped might be what it needs to get working your battery might be going too!

have you hooked up a volt meter to see how everything is putting out when the truck is off and when its runing?

i know you recently bought this stuff but i have returned 3 alt. once because i always test them when i put them on and thats what it took to end up with a good 1

Solenoid? I guess it could be. It of course came new with the starter. It would not be the first time A.Z. sold junk. That means I will have to pull it off to have it tested. Maybe it i still under warrantee.
Any other ideas just in case it's not the starter?

Carnuts said:
Solenoid? I guess it could be. It of course came new with the starter. It would not be the first time A.Z. sold junk. That means I will have to pull it off to have it tested. Maybe it i still under warrantee.
Any other ideas just in case it's not the starter?

Autozone must have a reputation with junk, I was sold a wiper motor that was internally shorted and it caught my fuse block on fire. Also, solenoids can go bad extremely quickly, I have an Oreilly's lifetime warranty starter on mine and I replace the damn thing every year atleast once. Everytime...solenoid. I actually was rereading and I will almost guarantee its the solenoid. Heres something you can try, and its kind of hard to explain. Rock the key back and forth multiple times, meaning to the point where it clicks..and back to off. After 4 or 5 times, with my experience, usually it will turn over.
HTH,
Collin

Last edited:
It may be your power lead from the battery directly to the starter. A quick check for that is to run your jumper cables from the positive terminal of the battery to the bolt that holds the power lead onto the starter (just have the jumper cable follow the normal wire). Try turning it over and see if it starts. If it will start with the cables then you just need a new line to your starter.

MAKE SURE that your battery is good, as I had a similar problem with my 1990 (same eng/trans combo) that was sporadic, until one day, it clicked, but didn't turn the starter motor any longer.....reason? Positive battery cable post separated from the plates, as it was a CHEAPIE battery....(it was on the Jeep when I bought it :)) so you might verify your battery voltage again to make sure that isn't an issue....

Bret S Gray

Yes it does. I replaced the starter relay by that (metal w/ 4 prongs, and one stud for the battery). Have not replaced any of the black relays that look like fuses though. Did switch a couple around for the heck of it trying to get it to start. No luck so far. It has been down for 1 1/2 wks now. I could of changed it over to a 4.3 by now. Anyway the 4.0 runs strong if I jump it. Even starts by the key. Just will not do anything on it's own. Ugh!

Carnuts said:
Good solenoid. Put a new one on to try same thing. Plenty of spark fetting to the starter. Battery strong. Any ideas now?

I cannot believe it. Sorry for the crappy diagnosis. :dunno:

CollinM said:
I cannot believe it. Sorry for the crappy diagnosis. :dunno:

No problem. I am just stumped. I think all of the obvious things are covered. Just not sure what else. I'm going to try replacing the positive cable from the battery to the starter tommorow with a pre formed one. The one on it now has where you bolt up to the cable end for the battery post.

Back