• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rancho shocks

azdesertrhino

NAXJA Forum User
Tried searching for this but not having any luck with it. I've seen mention of useing Rancho RS5000 series shocks mentioned when doing a 3" to 31/2" lift on an XJ but can't seem to find specific numbers. I've got a set I originally bought for my CJ but sold the CJ and never installed them. They are 2 rs5113 and 2 rs 5119. Will they be worth anything when I do the lift or should I just sell them and look into different shocks. Sorry if this is a low level question but I'm really new to XJ's

Thanks,

There are no reliable charts to tell you what shocks to use with which lift. "Your Jeep ain't my Jeep." A chart might get you in the ball park, but a half inch difference can cause damage to the shocks and/or the shock mounts.

What you need to is, with all shocks disconnected, jack up the front left corner of the rig until it's completly compressedand the front right is completely drooped- and I do mean COMPLETELY. Measure the distance between mounts and write them down. The jack the right side & measure again. Do the same for the rear. You'll also need the measurements taken with the vehicle at normal ride. (Bounce it a few times first.)

For the sake of safety, I don't reccomend bouncing the rig while on jacks.

Now, with these numbers in hand, find the Rancho chart that shows shock extension & compression lengths, mount types and so on. Find shocks with a compressed length at LEAST 2 inches shorter than your compressed length length and an extension length at least an inch longer than what you have at full droop. Mounting distances can be adjusted a little with extenders & adapters, keeping in mind offroading will find any weak points your rig has

i have rancho 5000's, and i CAN'T WAIT to toss them in the trash!!(n)

mack said:
i have rancho 5000's, and i CAN'T WAIT to toss them in the trash!!(n)

Thanks for the uplifting comments!! Just kidding! :laugh3: The more I read about the 5000 series the more I think I'll just have to get rid of them and buy some others. It's going to be a while before I can lift it anyhow. Need to have enough money for new tires at the same time.

Later,

Back