• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

propane smell

livewire

NAXJA Forum User
I started smelling gas inside my xj while driving around town. This has happened several different times. I does not smell like raw gasoline. It smells more like propane, or natural gas. Is my nose going or has anyone ever experienced this. I did a quick check and could not find any fuel leaks.

Look carefully at the fuel innjectors for staining and cracks around the body of the injector. The manifold may have stains on it as well.

injector.jpg

Sounds more like a freon problem. Your evap core under the dash leaking?

Had that same condition you describe in another vehicle when i had the a/c system recharged and sealer added to see if the core would seal up before attempting the expensive replacement.

Just did my injectors, gas smells like gas no matter where or how it leaks.

Cory

Just tracked this down on my daughters 87, I could not clearly identify the smell. I thought the same thing "gas smells like gas no matter what" . . . I've got a pretty good sniffer, and the undertone of power steering fluid, oil, and a little anti-freeze made it a distinctly different bouquet than a spilled gas can. . .

Only slightly joking because my belief that it "just didn't smell like gas" caused me to let it go longer than I should have - luckily the 2 bad injectors and the bad O-ring on the disconnect to the fuel rail did not cause a fire. They really were leaking bad, and the truck was immediately put down for repairs (injectors, disconnect O-Rings, crank seal, water pump, and power steering hose). Everything leaking on the front of the engine and blowing back, and the gas acting as a solvent disolving 15 years of crud, gave it a different smell.

That funky smell could easily be something other than gas but my experience now will make me immediately inspect and eliminate the injectors and fuel rail as the problem for safetys sake.

While I am not discounting the injector diagnosis I think that it is important to inform the group that some of the refrigerants on the market actually have propane blended into them. Propane is a great coolant but volitile when mixed with the right amount of air.

Most of the cars on the road today have R134A and you shouldn't have to worry about that but the older "replacement" refrigerants for the R12 systems used "blends" which have many different "components" in them to get the cooling effects for the A/C so it is possible that there is also a "propane" smell.

While I am on the subject of vehicle A/C, I am sure many of you have noticed that when you do a "conversion" to 134 that your A/C doesn't cool as well in traffic...this is because the refrigerant requires a larger condenser to work properly. Highway is not a problem because air is being forced throught the front at a greater rate than that of town driving - Thus another good argument for electric fans...both electric fans working pulls enough air to "overcome" the heat.

It never really does great in town in a converted vehicle but gets bearable when the temp goes to 90+ outside.

The newer vehicles have 134a in them so maybe a condensor out of say a 2k would be good...just a thought for someone to try. I am paying on 3 houses right now so I am Tapped at this point besides, my 95 had 135a fromthe factory.

JC95

I had some time to check the jeep today and found that my exaust manifold was loose. I forgot how quiet it is when you dont have exaust noise. I could not find anything leaking any where. I drove it a little bit tonight and did not smell gas. But time will tell. Thanks for all the input.

Back