• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE 3.5 super flex leaf spring

cgflightmech

NAXJA Forum User
I installed a RE 3.5 superflex w/full leaf packs on my 95 XJ. I have stock shackles. There is a thunking noise coming from the rear end over moderate bumps. It almost sound like the shackles are rubbing. Anyone had this noise?

Thanks

What you're hearing may be from the shocks, then. I get a slight thunk from my Rancho RS5000 fronts and rears since I haven't installed bar pin eliminators (BPE's) yet. I had narrowed the noise down to the bushings in the shock eyes being allowed to shift when I go over a bump (with a thunking noise) which the BPE's should help to eliminate. That's not the best explanation of what's going on, but try a search for them and you should find all the info you could ever want on them.

Someone else should be able to chime in with any other possibilities or a better explanation. HTH!

What do you mean by moderate bumps? Because I had a sound like that a couple weeks ago except it was in the front. The metal sleeve in my sway bar bushing had worked its way over enough to make a clunking sound when I hit bumps around town because it was able to jump up and down on the bolt even though the nut was tight. Maybe it could be something along the same line with the shackles?

Last edited:
I was just outside looking at my jeep and I wonder if my leaf spring attatchment bolts are overtourqued. The thumping over moderate bumps I am refering to is almose like something is rubbing.

If it's more like a squeaking noise, it may be the bolts on the leaf bushings being too tight, and/or a lack of lube on the bushings. Polyurethane bushings especially have issues with squeaking if they aren't perfectly cared for (and sometimes even if they are), but rubber can sometimes do the same. Make sure everything is greased well and see if that makes a difference.

You may also want to look and see if the arch of your new springs is holding the shackle close to the front of the shackle mount box. It could possibly be rubbing or hitting there.

Back