• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Detroit sucks

Wil Badger

NAXJA Forum User
well it would seem that if you blow an axle with a detroit locker it blows the locker as well just found this out today .also found that they will not warranty the locker if this has happened as well.so as of this point i will be looking for fullsize rears to toss under my rig.dana 44 front 60 back and doing a spool rear and something up front but i know it won't be a detroit

when you send it back to them for testing (which takes 4 weeks) they will say you over loaded the locker from having a broken shaft and not warranty it

Wil Badger said:
when you send it back to them for testing (which takes 4 weeks) they will say you over loaded the locker from having a broken shaft and not warranty it

so send it anyways... at least they will get rid of the broken locker for you..

it seems thats they strip the clutch pack when the break because of the locker being overloaded .i do plan on sending it back to see if i can slip it buy them but it still doens't get past the point that they suck.i mean come on if i break a shaft i have to worry about the locker going out every time as well.

Detroit locker myths

RME board

Last edited:
Slight typo in your Detroit Locker Myths link - here's the correct one.

I'll steer clear of the broken locker issue.

I broke on of their other products a few years ago. They refunded the price of that piece. Plus the price of the gears, carrier, brgs., etc. that I had just replaced at the same time. Plus some for damage to the hsg.

No.

Detroit > All others.

hjeepxj said:
No.

Detroit > All others.
I tend to agree. Even though I have broke one also. I have had way more trouble with my ARB in the front. And I love the fact that its always there and it replaces the carrier unlike a lockrite or other lunchbox. Besides....There are very few drivetrain companies that will replace broken parts if they find out you are using them for "off-road" use.

DrMoab said:
Besides....There are very few drivetrain companies that will replace broken parts if they find out you are using them for "off-road" use.

Not to hijack, but... would a detroit help me over those "obsticles" in the mall parking garage???

Detroit sucks

I'm surprised it took you this long to figure it out.

Were the unexpected lane changes not enough for you?

How about the popping banging and ratcheting?

Maybe you didn't notice the increased tire wear?

Yes, detroits do indeed suck.

CRASH

I would have a detroit any day over an arb. Gotta love waiting on those noisy compressors to fill so you can go over the next obstacle. Or better yet not enough air to go over the next obstacle while you are attempting the obstacle. How about those loosening bolts on the locker itself chewing up expensive ring gears. Maybe an ox locker would be better.--------------Detroits are my fav-------Kyle

no i like the operation of a detroit over anything else .i just don't like the fact they offer a product that will break when you break an axle then not warranty it because they now of this

That doesn't make sense Wil. I agree wholeheartedly. I say send it back and see what happens. I.E. don't know don't tell. That sucker just broke while I was driving down the street-hehehehehe---------Kyle

offroadman83 said:
I would have a detroit any day over an arb. Gotta love waiting on those noisy compressors to fill so you can go over the next obstacle. Or better yet not enough air to go over the next obstacle while you are attempting the obstacle. How about those loosening bolts on the locker itself chewing up expensive ring gears. Maybe an ox locker would be better.--------------Detroits are my fav-------Kyle

So are we talking installation error or a poorly designed air system. One piston stroke of my compressor is adequate to run my ARB.

CRASH

Plus ARB really backs-up it's products!

F'ed up the ARB in my front D30-No problems with the warranty at all. Got to appreciate that.

offroadman83 said:
That doesn't make sense Wil. I agree wholeheartedly. I say send it back and see what happens. I.E. don't know don't tell. That sucker just broke while I was driving down the street-hehehehehe---------Kyle

what don't you understand? i like the operation of a detroit (how it works) i just don't like the fact that their product will break when you break an axle .when you send it to them for repair they will say they will not warranty it because of over loading due to a broken axle.trust me i plan on sending it back to try and get another and don't plan on telling them it's from a broken axle.but if they give me crap about it i will just get fullsize axle and a spool for the rear .i know they are not good for road use but i don't plan on having it on the road.

Back