• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Horsepower Gains W/ Removal of A/C

Mich88XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering what the power and mileage gains are from removing the A/C on an 88. Mine needs recharging (I think) and I am going to school in about the farthest northern town of the upper peninsula of Michigan, so I won't be needing it all that much. If I do remove it, other than a shorter belt, is there anything else I might need, or problems I may run into? Thanks, Chris

Do you know of any sites that show how to do this? I thought about this and mentioned it to my cousin, he said he would be happier with the extra horsepower from no A/C. I want on board air though, what would be the cost?

And if I remember the belt routing correctly you'd need to use an idler in place of the ac pulley anyways to keep the belt in contact with the other pulleys (alternator and fan I think).

Static-XJ said:
And if I remember the belt routing correctly you'd need to use an idler in place of the ac pulley anyways to keep the belt in "nntact with the other pulleys (alternator and fan I think).

Correct and thdre (p Little parsitic loss when the AC is off....so just keep it turned off...till your windows fog up in the winter...then just crank it on for a bit;)

The compressor when operating uses between 4 to 6 HP if memory serves me..but it only uses a fraction of that when turned off..it also serves to dehumidify the air during defogging use..I wouldn't take it off..but then again..I'm from Florida. Nice to roll up the windows and go get muddy without getting hot.

Back