• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

flipped 231

whats wrong with the 231 or 242 as it currently sits in your rig... a d300 is setup for a passenger side drop - the reason for the DownEast D300 flip kit is to set it up for the Drivers side drop that as far as i know all XJ's have....

planning on running Scout d44's or something?

I would worry about having the oil pump pickup tube at the top instead of down where the oil is. If you handle that issue, it might work OK.

I dont think that would work even if you put the oil pickup in the right place(involves opening the case). The fill and drain holes wont be were they need to be either. I think the fluid path in the shaft would not deliver sufficient fluid to the gears and planetaries. You might try a pass side drop np241 or whatever it is from a chevy.

It might be easier and cheaper to get a late 70's Bronco or F150 full width high pinion. They have a drivers side drop and would make life a lot more straight forward. A few bucks difference in the axle sure gets rid of a lot of fabing. But then again, some of us just have this thing about doing something different than everybody else. :laugh3: The key is wheel it when you get done.

old_man said:
It might be easier and cheaper to get a late 70's Bronco or F150 full width high pinion. They have a drivers side drop and would make life a lot more straight forward. A few bucks difference in the axle sure gets rid of a lot of fabing. But then again, some of us just have this thing about doing something different than everybody else. :laugh3: The key is wheel it when you get done.
I agree old man, I got a deal on these axles, couldn't pass it up. They are already locked, geared and everything has been gone through and rebuilt. They have only been run for a little while (gotta love the pirate guys that can't live without their 60's). Plus I want to do something different, I have a good start, an MJ, just working on getting my other parts together

make life easier on yourself- retube the front axle.

burntkat said:
make life easier on yourself- retube the front axle.
"easier", sorry, I don't think so. Plus it would cost a bundle more, I am trying to keep cost down. Any idea on how much it would cost? I can get a rebuilt dana 300 with a twinstick for $500, if you think it can be done for less than that, My ears are open,

of course it would be lots easier. Use the existing axle shafts-- move left to right and vice versa, then cut out the old tube, put new in, and you're done.

I've seen people do this in their garage. "Ya just gotta want it". ;)

Heck- I can't see it costing anywhere near $500 if you have a shop do it. It's a little grinding, a little cutting of new tube, and a little welding. I honestly think that if you're not shy of a grinder you can get out of it for less than $300.

- and another thing-- how are you planning to attach the 300 to the XJ Tranny? The bolt patterns for the two 'cases aren't the same last time I checked, and I don't believe the spline count is the same either.

a flipped 231, are you serious?

why would you invest more than a slip yoke eliminator into a 231, really?
if you are putting fullwidth axles in, chances are you will be running tires that can potentially destroy a 231. just a matter of time

buy a real transfer case or atleast do what ryurabbit said

I just picked up a D300 for $200.00. Bought it from a neighbor, he pulled it from a running CJ8 and $200.00 seems to be the going price. You can buy twin sticks on eBay for less than $100.00. The bolt pattern is the same as 231 and mates up to a 23 spline shaft, and it's WAY beefier than a 231.

I will be flipping mine :laugh3:

davidt said:
Anybody done a flipped 231? I am planning on running a dana 300, but that is a more expensive option. Input guys!

Ever opened one up??? Not much to 'em. As already mentioned, the oil pickup tube would be on the top rather than at the bottom. You'd have to re-route your exhaust also.

Iminocca said:
I just picked up a D300 for $200.00. Bought it from a neighbor, he pulled it from a running CJ8 and $200.00 seems to be the going price. You can buy twin sticks on eBay for less than $100.00. The bolt pattern is the same as 231 and mates up to a 23 spline shaft, and it's WAY beefier than a 231.

I will be flipping mine :laugh3:

Careful on that Dana 300, they are not all the "same" bolt pattern. I think I remember there was a "texas" bolt pattern and other ones. If it came out of a Jeep then maybe it will fit but I would research that one for sure.

I would almost bet money on it, because I've already researched the D300 swap and found it would get expensive quick, what with the adapter plate and all.

'course, if he's got access to the tools to measure and make his own, he might need to make two of 'em.... ;)

ryurabbit said:
Careful on that Dana 300, they are not all the "same" bolt pattern. I think I remember there was a "texas" bolt pattern and other ones. If it came out of a Jeep then maybe it will fit but I would research that one for sure.

The D300 from a Scout is a different bolt pattern, the CJ uses the same pattern as an XJ. The conversion CAN get pricey when you adapt to a 21 spline input, upgrade to 32 spline output, add 4:1 low range, or buy a flip kit and a rebuild kit. When you add all that together you can buy an Atlas for a little less money. The Novak clocking adapter is about the price of a hack'n'tap, and if your not going to flip it and don't need a 21 spl adapter, add shafts 'n shifters and you're done (with the tcase anyway). If only my projects worked out that easily in real life... :sunshine:

We did an un-flipped Dana 300 swap into an XJ last year. No real problems to speak of.

Re-routed the exhaust to the drivers side, clocked up the 300, bolted right up.

Yes, Scout 300's are different bolt patterns, but are worth around $500 in useable shape. Any CJ 300 will work for ya just fine. Just be sure your transmission is a 23 spline output...

man I wish I knew this a couple months ago before putting the Tera HD SYE in my XJ.

Please tell me that 90 XJ AW4 transmissions don't have the 23 spline output? ;)

Back