• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stuck in 2wd?

jfiscus

NAXJA Forum User
I recently purchased an 85 XJ wagoneer 4cyl.
It has been sitting for a while (1yr+?) because of engine troubles.
I am thinking of finishing fixing the engine troubles (replaced timing chain, but motor's still got a small knock), but when I drove it I could not get the 2-4wd console lever to move. (I pulled pretty hard too, and tried it in drive and neutral)

Is there rust in there making it stuck or are there far worse problems for me to contend with? I have absolutely NO experience with transmissions/transfer cases and have no idea where to start looking.

Thanks!

does your truck have a select trac switch to go from 2 to 4 wheel drive and then a lever for 4hi to 4lo? Or does not have select trac. We will go from there. I own an 85 woody also with the 2.5.

I have the select trac so it will be different than yours. But I would check the linkage on the tranfer case. See if it is binding up somewhere making it not able to move. You are not able to move it at all correct? I believe that you have a 904 tranny. Is it automatic or stick?

It's an auto tranny, I think it says 'command trac' on the back of the XJ, but I could be wrong. I cannot budge the handle for 4wd, and have no idea what/where the linkage is.

If you go under your truck and look along side the driver side of the tranfer case you will see linkage that is connected to your shifter. With someone that you trust have them sit in the truck and try to shift it while you are underneath with a light looking at the linkage. You should be able to see the linkage move a little bit. If it does not move at all then try to shift it yourself by moving the linkage around. Try moving it back and forth on the linkage on the tranfer case and see if that works. If this does not work than you are about to get to know your truck a little better. You will have to find a way to get the linkage to move by starting to check by your shift handle on the counsole and work your way down to the tranfer case. If all the linkage moves properly than it is in your tranfer case. Any questions let me know. I have had to battle with my linkage on mine before so I know a bit about it.

Back