• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 Issues

53guy

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I've looked, but cant find anyone with the same problem as mine. I've got a '99 xj sport with (obviously) a d30 in the front and i'm trying to replace the inner seals on the axle. The only issue is that I cant get the carrier out of the housing. Is there any special way to do it? I'm not new to jeeps, but I've always stayed away from axle work and now I want to try at it. Reading a Jeep manual at the dealer, it says to spread the housing utilizing the holes on the side of the housing and a spreader. Is there an easier way to do it or do I have to fab up a tool to do this job? Any help would be awesome.

53guy said:
Ok, I've looked, but cant find anyone with the same problem as mine. I've got a '99 xj sport with (obviously) a d30 in the front and i'm trying to replace the inner seals on the axle. The only issue is that I cant get the carrier out of the housing. Is there any special way to do it? I'm not new to jeeps, but I've always stayed away from axle work and now I want to try at it. Reading a Jeep manual at the dealer, it says to spread the housing utilizing the holes on the side of the housing and a spreader. Is there an easier way to do it or do I have to fab up a tool to do this job? Any help would be awesome.

You can try a couple:

use a rag, feed it between the pinion and ring, turn the axle shafts and it should push the carrier out. I know for one thing it will cut up your rag. :D

Use a box end wrench on one of the ring bolts. Apply leverage

use two pry bars and work it out

Just be as careful as you can when applying the force required to get that carrier out.

ChuckD said:
You can try a couple:

use a rag, feed it between the pinion and ring, turn the axle shafts and it should push the carrier out. I know for one thing it will cut up your rag. :D

Use a box end wrench on one of the ring bolts. Apply leverage

use two pry bars and work it out

Just be as careful as you can when applying the force required to get that carrier out.

How do you rotate the axle shafts while trying to force the carrier out? I'm just running it through my head and I like the idea, but aren't you trying to force the carrier out? And aren't the axle shafts on the carrier? Is it worth trying to rotate the pinion by way of the drive shaft?

53guy said:
How do you rotate the axle shafts while trying to force the carrier out? I'm just running it through my head and I like the idea, but aren't you trying to force the carrier out? And aren't the axle shafts on the carrier? Is it worth trying to rotate the pinion by way of the drive shaft?

Just rotate the ring, sorry, I'm Blonde!

Or turn the pinion

Be prepared, when that thing comes out of there, it usually isn´t gradually, it kind of pops out. I usually use a couple of tire spoons on the ends, I´ve almost had the carrier land on something sensitive a couple of times, like my lap or mý head.

Back