• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Re-indexing distributor??

Undeclared

NAXJA Forum User
I keep getting a check engine light saying that I have had a misfire. Replaced the distributor a few weeks ago and thinks I might have installed the distributor out of allignment by 1/4 of inch or so. Now I would like to try to re-index the distributor, but need to know how. Also, how do you find top dead center, and how is it that one is supposed to be able to read the markings on top of the engine dampner and timing chain cover?
Any advice, instruction would help.

O.K., I've already read that link. How is it that one is supposed to check to see if the timing mark on the crankshaft pulley is ligned up with the "0" degree mark on the timing chain cover. I looked, but can't see anything. Do I have to take the whole front end appart, i.e. remove both fans, waterpump puley, belts, etc.

If you remove electric fan assembly on drivers side with a good timimg light you can see markings. May have to wipe tab on cover with some cleaner. badge714

Back