• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

can anyone beat 280,000 miles?

What year XJ do you have and what motor, tranny, t-case do you have? I have 206K on my 91' 4.0L/AW4/231 so I didn't beat you but I will run it till it breaks. It is not uncommon at all to have an XJ with the mentioned combo run to and past 300K miles. Just keep up the maintenance including fluid changes and keep it from getting too hot and you should go past 300K miles if all is still good with your XJ.

Does this have to be on an XJ? Reason I ask is that we had a 1979 Dodge Challenger (rebadged Mitsubishi Sapporo) that covered 480,000 on the original drivetrain before it was impounded in Hollywood - and the second car I ever owned was a diesel Series IIA Land-Rover with 543,000 on the clock when I bought it.

My 93 XJ is getting right up there too...408,000km./253,000mi. and I'm going to keep driving it as long as the front half stays attached to the back half.

I own an 85 xj wagoneer with the 2.5 inline four. It turned 215,000 last week when the engine finally went. I was very suprised to see it last that long. Time for a new one at the cost of 1000.00.

I'm only up to 233K so far, but it aint broke yet.

For other vehicles, I have an old Mercedes 240D that's at 324K and still going.

Someone will correct me I'm sure, but as I recall, Rich Pierson holds the all time record here, having put over 600K on a Chevy S-10 with a 2.8 engine.

Bought an XJ from WI for parts, that had 369,000 miles (believe it was an 88)that had thrown a rod right through the oil pan, but still had enough "mmph" to get unto the front wheel trailer we had, oil spraying everywhere of course. Pulled it home behind home behind PhatassXJ's (my brother's, now known as PhatassWJ on JU) XJ ('93, Black, 4-dr, 6 in. lift, C 4x4 front, Durango 4x4 rear). It was a lovely mess, but I got the parts off it that I needed, and somehow managed to sell it for more than what I paid for it, even after ripping off many parts.

About 17k miles behind the OP but I know my cylinder head has never been off. IMO that's important if we're gonna wave our mileage dicks around.

High mileage with no cylinder/head work is a beautiful thing...

I helped a friend swap an OEM clutch with 280,000 miles on it. Also had the original, untouched Peugeot tranny ..... woulda been a good day to buy a lotto ticket :)

i have 417k on my 89 XJ. its a four door 4.0l auto. ORIGINAL DRIVETRAIN!!!

and i still drive it daily so if anybody can beat that one more power to you!!

dave

It's not a Jeep, but it's shocking enough to mention: My wife's got 260,000 miles on her '91 Ford Explorer (4.0 V-6). The only repair work done on it so far was a new intake manifold gasket and a new radiator.

I have 191,000 miles on my MJ. My dads 77 CJ has 78K miles on it(all factory) My sisters 89 Celica has 199,992 miles on it. I get the privledge of cracking 200K on the way to hooters tonight. My theory is that the motor is just gonna shoot through the hood when it hits 200K because that thing taps more than anything I've ever heard.

Back