• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny cooler install question.

MachineMan

NAXJA Forum User
I just got a $30 six row tranny cooler from Summitracing.com and plan to install it in from of my A/C condenser. Its 7.5 x 17 x 0.75 inches so it will fit under the grill.

I want to maximize the cooling so should I continue to run the tranny fluid through my GDI radiator exchanger first then to the new cooler? Or just bypass the radiator and use the new cooler only?

1990 XJ 4.0L with AW4 tranny

I have a four-row tranny cooler, I kept it running through my radiator, tranny stays cooler (I can tell by less heat coming from the shifter area) and my engine also runs about 10* cooler now too. I think by keeping it running through the rad, you will get your engine and tranny up to running temperature faster (cooling isn't the only important aspect) and by not having it run through the rad, your tranny will probably take longer to get to running temp.

I bypassed the radiator entirely on my 88's AW4, and I have driven it daily since July last year. My trans doesn't seem to act any differently related to temp. (ranging from near 100* a few days down to the teens a few nights) but YMMV. I don't beat on mine very often, and I take very few drives under 15 miles.

Back