• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stupid seat belt buzzer...

mikeny59

NAXJA Member #300
I'm putting my dash back together on a '98 after remote start install. Have yet to locate the beep-beep-beep-bs thing, if/when I do, can I just snip the wire?

I have the FSM but I swear they omitted this part of the schematic on purpose.

thanks

So you're saying that it is not silencable :mad: ?

The stupid buzzer is actually soldered to the cluster, it's in the top left hand corner in the back, about the size of 8 quarters stacked. I'm looking at one right now, you might be able to disassemble the cluster and unsolder it but I have no idea of any side effects of interupting the thing...

The cluster pops out out unbelievably easily. Wonder of one could simply gingerly drill through it and destroy whatever the equivalent of a speaker cone/diaphram it contains.

After seven years, it's getting on my nerves...

Maybe this weekend I'll see what the printed circuit board looks like. I'd slather it in j&b and permatex sealant if necessary:gonnablow ...

If you can't shut it up, just wait a few years. My passengers tell me I have a seat belt buzzer but I'm too deaf to hear it.

I can hear the key/lights buzzer because the car is always off when they come on, but the seat-belt annoyance coincides w/starting the car and the engine wins.

Getting old has its compensations. :laugh3:

Ugh... Could you increase to a bolder and bigger font, I've having trouble hearing, err... reading your post:laugh3:

Seriously, my inspection's overdue, I have to get this dash together, just shelled out x amount of $ for pads/rotors because the ryabestos rotors and I forgot what pads self-desctructed in under 16k miles, the ding-dong IS the last straw...:rattle:

Thanks for the help though, all...

I have a 97 and all I did was get under the drivers seat and unplug the connector to the belt. Also, I unscrewed the pin switch located in the drivers side door jam that operates the the interior lights and triggers the "door ajar buzzer"- there are 3 wires that go to the switch, I cut one of em.... forgot which one though- play around with it and you'll figure out which one.

and yeah the lights still work after you do this :D

24/7,

I cancelled my date with Brad Pitt's ex, this better work tonite. :smootch:

Thanks, your details much appreciated...

Last edited:
I "fixed" mine on the '88 when the original seat belt failed and I had to buy a new short section ... the one with the buckle receiver. Not sure about the 97+, but on the old ones it's the short section that has the wiring for the buzzer circuit. Jeep wants twice as much for the driver's side as for the passenger side. I dislike the buzzer, and as I always use the belt it was unnecessary. So I bought a passenger side belt, clipped the wires off the old one and spliced the two ends together. So the circuit now thinks the seatbelt is buckled 24/7.

NOTE: This "fix" may not be legal. I am not concerned because I intend to keep the vehicle until it (or I) dies. If I should be forced to sell it while it is still a somewhat viable form of transportation, I believe I would have to repair that before I can sign off that there are no known defects on/in the vehicle.

Check the fuse panel for a chime module....
There is one on the 89'but not too sure on your model..
Haynes Manual should show the location IF you've got one
I had a problem bout a yr ago,everytime I turned park lights on inst pnl fuse would blow,therefore no dash lights or tail lights.Finally got fed up and took it to a local 4x4 shop and as the guy was tracing lines I mentioned the buzzing sound.
He reached under the ddash pulled the chime module from the upper left side of the fuse panel,no buzz,no problem with dash light fuses,taillights work.
Like I said this is on an 89'IF yours is integreted into the system,might wanna talk to a dealer/parts person,or maybe some other JEEP owner knows a cure for the buzzer................

Back