• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lets talk about my '00 XJ build up ideas...

JeepinAaron

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, kind of new to the forum. Not to Jeeps though, I have a 99 Wrangler that I have built up. The Wrangler will be my primary trail rig. I'm wanting to build up the XJ for trails too, since it has more room for passengers and carge (which means i can take longer trips)

Here's the platform, 2000, 4 door, auto, 242, 8.25 in the rear, 30" BFG AT's

What i want: A rig that i can take on most trails, but is totally streetable.

What I am thinking about doing:

Armor: Gas tank, tranny, and t-case. Also uni-body stiffiners. (I already have a rear reciever)

Cage: more than likely an internal cage. I am thinking this will stiffen up the uni-body alot. Also hopefully i can get enough protection from a full internal cage that if i were to flop it over (God forbid) that it would drive away in one slightly crinkled piece. I'm not against exo but I haven't gotten used to the looks.

Lockers - selectable. Probably ARB's????

Lift and tires - this is my main concern. 3.5" or up to 5.5"? I am wondering what tire size would be optimal for off-road and on-road use. 31" or 33"?? The Jeep is getting around 20mph with 30" tires and i know even with new gears, the 33's would hurt. What success stories have u guys had with 31" and 33" tire sizes?

Gearing: I assume if i go to 31" i will be ok with stock gears? 33's would probably require 4.56 or 4.88?

Engine mod's???? What have you guys come up with that worked? I saw a magazine write up about the Turbo City products improving HP and MPG's

Like i said the TJ will be the take to Tellico Jeep. Its on 33's and might graduate up to 35's now that I don't drive it every day any more. But I live in NC...and my heart is out west. So an XJ that i could drive to Moab, and wheel on a majority of the trails there, then come home with...that would be great.

whats carge?

btw.. i think you already answered most of your questions...:)
don't forget the bumpers... and a winch...

JeepinAaron said:
Hey guys, kind of new to the forum. Not to Jeeps though, I have a 99 Wrangler that I have built up. The Wrangler will be my primary trail rig. I'm wanting to build up the XJ for trails too, since it has more room for passengers and carge (which means i can take longer trips)

Here's the platform, 2000, 4 door, auto, 242, 8.25 in the rear, 30" BFG AT's

What i want: A rig that i can take on most trails, but is totally streetable.

What I am thinking about doing:

Armor: Gas tank, tranny, and t-case. Also uni-body stiffiners. (I already have a rear reciever)

Cage: more than likely an internal cage. I am thinking this will stiffen up the uni-body alot. Also hopefully i can get enough protection from a full internal cage that if i were to flop it over (God forbid) that it would drive away in one slightly crinkled piece. I'm not against exo but I haven't gotten used to the looks.

Lockers - selectable. Probably ARB's????

Lift and tires - this is my main concern. 3.5" or up to 5.5"? I am wondering what tire size would be optimal for off-road and on-road use. 31" or 33"?? The Jeep is getting around 20mph with 30" tires and i know even with new gears, the 33's would hurt. What success stories have u guys had with 31" and 33" tire sizes?

Gearing: I assume if i go to 31" i will be ok with stock gears? 33's would probably require 4.56 or 4.88?

Engine mod's???? What have you guys come up with that worked? I saw a magazine write up about the Turbo City products improving HP and MPG's

Like i said the TJ will be the take to Tellico Jeep. Its on 33's and might graduate up to 35's now that I don't drive it every day any more. But I live in NC...and my heart is out west. So an XJ that i could drive to Moab, and wheel on a majority of the trails there, then come home with...that would be great.
Cage - get an exo cage, and you'll quickly get used to the look. What I've found from working on my XJ is if it works, is recommended, and is tough as nails, buy it, put it on, then get used to the looks last. :)

Lockers - You're dead on.

Lift and Tires - If you're going 31s, but you want a trail rig, might as well go 33"s. A minimal height difference, but definately a wider tire, and 33s just sounds sexy. I'm picking my 33" BFG MT (km) up this Saturday. :) 3.5" with good fender trimming will fit the 33"s, but a 5.5 RE XD lift would be ideal. You will probably want to trim either way - just because it's functional and cool (you can't call yourself a stocker anymore) - but beware your state's laws about fenders and tire width. I'm not sure North Carolina's laws on that.

Gears - 4.56s will fit in the axles you have and will be great for 33s. I'm getting 4.56s installed after April 6th. See, 35" tires and above require greater gearing, thus different axles, and a lot more money/work. I'm settling at 33" meats, 5.5" of lift, and 4.56s for now. Check out the "Jeep Pictures Showcase" forum. People here are more than happy to show off their Jeeps. :)

Engine mods - I did a Rusty's Airtube with K&N Cone Filter, Flowmaster 40 series muffler, new spark plugs/wires/dist cap & rotor, all for under $250. Increased my hp by (just guessing) 10hp? I'd like to dyno test it :)

As far as mpg, I've struggled with the same issues. I want to go back to 20mpg, but I just can't. Hopefully regearing will help some, but lifting/bigger tires and mpg seems to just be a trade-off. I don't believe the "wonder stories" people say about getting 25mpg with an XJ. But that's just me.

I hope this helped!

Purple said:
whats carge?

btw.. i think you already answered most of your questions...:)
don't forget the bumpers... and a winch...

whoops....carge is NC for cargO

I might have answered my questions on some stuff, i just wanted to lay out my ideas to get input. My biggest question and consideration is with lift and tires.

Sounds like fun. How about this:

Leave it as stock as possible.

Forget the engine mods, the cage; axle, tranny, t-case swaps.

Run 33's
REASONABLE lift
T-case skid
4:56's
Simple lockers
SYE

Not very sexy sounding is it? But guess what? It'll be as reliable as hell if you mess with as little as possible. Very affordable too. I've found the 2K to be a great platform right out of the box, it has the basic gear to deal with more than you would ever imagine.

Take your driving to as high a level as you can, and it will do amazing things, without breaking. Drive without regards to damage, and I'm sure you'll need more than you've listed.

Maybe it just me, but I'd rather wheel the shiat out of my stuff verses work on it, and I do. I think nothing of going 150 miles one way to hardcore trails, in comfort, every weekend.

Where do I go? Well, Sledge Hammer for one...

sh4.jpg

--ron

I agree with Ron... I have an 87 with:
rear locker
open front
33 x 14.50s
t case skid
rock rails...

I have a great time. bang the crap out of it... enjoy grinding the sides on the mountains... make sure you have sturdy tow points and a high lift jack...they can get you out of a lot of bad spots... its more fun to try to get somewhere you think you may not be able to... and know when to back down or winch when you can't...

:)

I dont know what you "need" to run the trails out west but i think it all depends on how much $ you have to spend. if not alot start small with like a 3inch lift some shackels out back. bumpers..skids. rails.. lockers.. then after all the "protection" is "done" and funds allow go bigger.. there is always people on here selling lift stuff and you might get a better deal waiting and getting the parts to go up.

keith h

Back