• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hi-flow muffler--What's everyone using?

BillR

Toy Jeep driver!
Please give me some recommendations for an updated muffler for my 2001, with links if possible to suppliers. Mine's not worn out at all, but I installed an air tube w/K&N and wanted to get the gasses out quickly too. What are the favorites?
TIA!:cool:

Flowmaster baby! I have a 40 series on mine and love it. Great rumble too!

Flowmaster cat-back system from Rusty.

xjdaddy said:
The 40s DO have a rumble. I had one on my '87, and thought it was a little TOO loud.:( This XJ may be different w/2 cats on it.:confused:

xjdaddy said:

These do sound tough, but seem to resonate in the cab quite a bit. If that doesn't bother ya then go for it. I opted for a Magnaflow and love it! Nice low rumble, but not to loud!

Go with the Borla exhaust. 289.00 www.quadratec.com
or truckperformance.com. I got mine there and it was 310 shipped. Money well spent since it's stainless steel and all and you will never have to get one again. I had the Rusty's Flowmaster, great price but it did rust out in about 1.5 yrs.

haven't heard mine yet (waiting to fire it up) but i have a borla header,no cat, 2.5 s.s. pipe from header to muffler, muffler is a s.s. flowmaster, and a 2.5 s.s. tailpipe (made by random technology) hope it's not to loud. 4.7 stroker w/many mods

scot

it really depends on you personally for sound, for flow, flowmaster!! i have a borla header, catco high flo cat 2.5i/o, amd a dynomax catback. the dynomax is a nice low rumble, low, at idle and not a very noticeable one at above idle. it flows well though, but i need more grrrr so i'm switching, one day, maybe.
Rockhound

Dynomax ultraflow race. The race version is made of much thicker steel and its fully welded all around. Much less resonance than a flowmaster but still growly. At cruising speed it kind of dissapates. The casing is so thick that it wont get dented up by light hits. Plus, its something like 70 dollars. There is no way that I would stick in a 310 dollar muffler!!
summitracing.com

The 2.5" pipes are a great idea...I run a muffler from a late 70's 500 CI Caddy...nice and quiet..good deep sound though...if they are still in production...a genuine Walker brand muffler for a 68 corvair turbo coupe (the original "turbo" muffler) works very well...i ran a pair on a 366 CI chevy Chevelle... it ran as fast corked up at the dragstrip as it did with open headers.

Not a 310 Muffler

The whole cat back system is 310 shipped. I didn't want to ever replace the system again. I had a Dynomax, rusted out, Flowmaster from Rusty's, rusted out. I got sick of it every 1.5 to 2 years. So for the long term, the stainless Borla system makes sense to me. 139 for Rustys, plus shipping. 110 for Dynomax plus shipping. Add it up, one time fee pays for both over time. So in two years, it'll still look new. Money well spent to me.

I run a glasspack on the trail rig,and a Hooker Aero Chamber on the full size street Cherokee. I love the Aero Chamber! Nice grumble,no interior resonation,not overly loud,and built to last a lifetime! A very thick gauge fully welded aluminized steel body,100% stainless inner construction,no matting to blow out,and on average $10 cheaper than that "other" brand :) I would *Highly* recomend them!

My cousin just got 40 series dual chamber flows on his TJ (I was waiting to hear how it sounds before I bought mine). Sounds good, nice low powerful tone, gets a little loud at really high rpms. Go with the Flowmasters, you can find them cheap on ebay. Remember, "If its too loud, youre too old!"

2.5 cat back with Flowmaster. sounds good, and flows very well. I love it.

I personally like spintechmufflers.com. Same flow as flowmaster, and no resonance. One of the 4x rags did one on it's project TJ. Loved the sound. They drove a front tire up on it with no denting. Maybe they all do that, but I've never tried. They also have a very low-profile streetrod muffler that is 2.25" thin. You can even get it with 2.5" inlet and outlet. I plan to go with this muffler.

I have a 40 series too, great sound and very durable. Its taken a few hits on the trail and has survived 2 Rochester winters. It is on the louder side, and very bassy when video taped :)

--Matt

There is only one muffler for any rig driven over large rocks and other rough obstacles: FlowMaster. They have different ones from the minimalist 40 series to the quieter Delta flow to that new skinny style. They all sound good, flow like crazy, but best of all it doesn't crush when you use it to park your Cherokee on a boulder.

To avoid resonance problems, make sure you run your tail pipe all the way out the back and maybe give your tip a slight downturn. I have no resonance problems at all even with all the insulation stripped out of the body- at least no until the tail pipe seperated from the back of the muffler!

Back