• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is the price worth it?

guther66

NAXJA Forum User
I just purchased a RE 5.5 lift kit and need to get the SYE ( I have the 242)and new driveshafts. I found a guy that has a recent rebuilt AW4 with a 231 and front and rear shafts from a wrecked XJ with around the same lift height. I know that in some years the out put shaft from the AW4 is different from the 231 to 242, but I heard that some have the same. Hence the possible need for transmission. He is asking $700 for all of it. Is this a good price? And what years have the same output shaft.
Thanks

Sorry, I should clarify the price a little more. He wants $250 for the tranmission, $ 250 for the 231 that already has a tapped SYE, and $100 for each drive line. Both have the splines on the shaft. I would really appreciate some input. Thanks

I'm not sure when the break occured in difference of splines on trans output shaft, but you will have to provide the year of your XJ and the donor XJ for anyone to know the compatibility. Also I believe the trans controller changed from year to year so compatibility of controls may also be an issue.

Like shimmy said though, it would be much cheaper to just SYE your existing t-case than to make the switch, unless you just want a 231.

And there is only a small difference in strength between the two transfer cases, its not nearly as big of a difference as some say it is. Its nothing like the difference between a D35 and an 8.25.

My XJ is a 95, the seller said that the rebuilt tranny has 10000 miles on it and has the papers from the job. The other parts he stated were put on recently, how recent I don't know. I'll try and get the year the parts are coming from. The only place that I have found a SYE for the 242 is Tom Woods, and he wants $500 for the parts (including a rear driveline), plus the output shaft out of mine (to eliminate the core charge of $200). I would still have to purchase a front driveline running me $200 to $300, so the prices are about the same. Unless someone knows some place else that does the SYE for the 242. Thanks for the replies.

Back