• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TC grinding ... searched

rock hard

NAXJA Forum User
Alright.. I know ur gonna tell me to search.. so I did. But couldn't find anything that matched my prob.

Got an 89 - 4.0, AW4, NP242.

recently my tc has started to make some funky sounds. In 2wd its a draggin noise.. in reverse is sounds ALOT louder. In 4wd (both HI-LO) and part-time, I get the noise as well.
It sounds like the chain is off the sprocket??
Just changed the fluid recently as well (this started since the change).. the level is good.. double checked tonight.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

I don't think the chain is off the sprocket cause if it was you wouldn't be driving anywhere. But it is definetely a possibility that the chain is stretched out and skipping, but that is usually more of a clunking noise. I have seen a few t-cases that have had something else broken inside and that little broken piece just jumps around in there reeking havoc on everything and makes noises like you described. The only real way to tell is to take it apart. You can try using a stethescope first to try to narrow down the area where the noise is coming from.

Also, make sure its not your catalytic converter. When those break apart inside, they make ginding like noises that and will make you think its coming from the t-case. It's a mistake a lot of people have made.

hope that help

Dean

NP231s have a probleem with the plastic tips on the mode fork wearing out. this causes it not to engage fully into 2wd or 4wd and thusly you get a grinding noise.

a streched chain will only usually act up in 4wd with heavy load...the jeep will jump and lurch and you will hear a chunking sound...typically not a grind.

Yeah.. it's only a grind/drag sound when it's in 2 wd. I put it in P/N and the noise dissapears. the other noise (gears not meashing like a "gurgling") only happens when it's in reverse, or when I put it in any 4wd modes. I'm gonna put it up on the hoist tonight and have another look..
Thx for your quick replies guys...

Back