• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Help Removing Transfer Case!

DaveHillier

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 88 XJ for parts that I'm trying to take the transfer case out of it as mine is on its way out. I unhooked that wires, speedometer cable and vacuum line and I also took the bolts out of the crossmember on both sides. The underside is quite full of mud and the crossmember is beat up quite badly so I can't really tell how to get the mount off of the tranny and I don't know where the tranny and transfer case join. Does anyone have some good pics of removing a transfer case?

DaveHillier said:
I have a 88 XJ for parts that I'm trying to take the transfer case out of it as mine is on its way out. I unhooked that wires, speedometer cable and vacuum line and I also took the bolts out of the crossmember on both sides. The underside is quite full of mud and the crossmember is beat up quite badly so I can't really tell how to get the mount off of the tranny and I don't know where the tranny and transfer case join. Does anyone have some good pics of removing a transfer case?

1. hose it down and you should be able to see where the two join
2. Given that the tcase will looks somewhat similar to this: http://jeep.avtograd.ru/xfer/encyclopedia/NP231/images/NP231.jpg look for hte bolts on the tranny side and remove the nuts (15mm wrench)
3. Once all the nuts are removed, pull it off.

The linkage is easy. Just use a flat-bladed screwdriver to pry the linkage out of the bushings.

A couple of things. First, put it on jack stands, or chock those wheels. Once you take out the rear DS the Jeep will roll freely. Could roll on to you if you are not careful.

Once you remove the crossmember, you will need to use a jack to support and manipulate the transmisson. It helps to lower the transmisson a little to access the top bolts on the TC. Once you have all of the bolts off, be prepared to deal with 60-70 lbs, or so. It isn't bad, but you could get hurt if you are not ready.

If you are planning on taking it apart and rebuilding it, do yourself a favor and break the front output shaft nut loose before you take it out of the Jeep.

DaveHillier said:
So do I have to take the crossmember off the Tranny to remoce the transfer case? And there is 6 bolts that hold the tranny to the case right?
If you're only removing the tcase you do not need to unbolt the crossmember: yo ucan do that with it in place (although removing the crossmember and lowering the tranny will help with access to the top tcase nuts)

yes there are six nuts on studs that hold the t-case to the transmission. The bottom one being just under the transmission mount since it is a AW4. I would personally remove the crossmember and trans mount for ease of getting to the bottom nut under the mount. The shiffter you can unbolt at the t-case by the front output yoke. Have fun and I hope this helps.

Back