• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

First (?) Report on Zaino's/Zainos/Zaino polish

Churchlady

NAXJA Forum User
I searched the archives with all 3 spellings and am surprised to see just one offhand mention but no ratings/reviews/opinions of a really impressive car polish.

The previous owner had always used Maguiar's 3-Step and the paint was in great shape. But I was intrigrued by some reviews about Zaino's and--having no plans to enter my car in a Concours d'Elegance--I ordered just the two basic products: the Z-1 (adhesion prep) and Z-2 (polish for clear-coated cars). My cost (incl. free applicator pad) was under $30 incl. shipping and they say each 8 oz.bottle will do a Corvette 8-15 times.

I washed the car w/Dawn dish detergent, applied one coat of the Z-1 and 2 coats of the Z-2 (and a 3rd coat on the hood & front end). It goes on so easily you can't believe you're doing a good job, but they warn emphatically to put it on VERY sparingly.

It was a cool Sept. day and I expected it to dry slowly, but it dried so fast I could start wiping it off as soon as I'd gone all around the car--10-15 minutes. And "wiping" it off is literally all you have to do--the lightest swipe w/a cloth. There was no visible residue left on the black trim/gaskets, none in crevices.

It's been over 6 mos. now, my car has been washed at least 18 times in drive-thru carwashes because of the snowy winter, and I swear to you it's gotten shinier with every wash! It glitters almost to the point of blinding me in the sun, and water explodes into a zillion pinpoint-size droplets.

It's so good I know someone's going to now tell me it eats the finish away to bare metal. :eek:

I have always partial to Meguiars stuff myself, but I hate waxing cars. So the Zanio applacation process interreggs me. I got some Boush aluminum polish, and cleaner for my wheels last spring to try at a truck show. I never got to the polishing, but the cleaner worked wonders. I was quite inpressed, and want to try some of there other products.

Churchlady said:
It's been over 6 mos. now, my car has been washed at least 18 times in drive-thru carwashes because of the snowy winter, and I swear to you it's gotten shinier with every wash!

I don't think my Jeep has been washed 18 times in its life.

scoobyxj said:
:laugh3: Yea but reguler baths do wanders for keeping the paint nice, and warding off rust.

Yeah, when it was new (97TJ) it was kept pretty clean. It probably did get 15 or so washes w/ soap in the first couple years. Other than that it gets a pressure wash when its caked w/ dirt and the natural rinse (rain) when that happens. Mud actually stains if you leave it on there long enough. A couple years ago, I painted the whole Jeep khaki and OD. Basically just spray it off when it's dirty, and touch up when I hug the trees or rocks.

For my pretty vehicles, I've been using Race Glaze. It goes on and off easy, and thats all I really care about. The paint on my Super Duty looks great so far, so I'll keep using it.

XJClassic said:
www.zainobros.com is the only place I am aware that sells it.

I think that's right. That's where I got mine. Very fast service & good instructions.

I'm hypersensitive about washing my car--esp. the underbody--in the winter months when the roads are salted because I lost to rust a wonderful Isuzu Trooper that would otherwise prob. have run forever. (But then I'd never have bought my XJ, so things work out as they should.)

It's sure taken all the dread of car-waxing day from me. It took about two hours to wax the car (my son did the top of the roof I couldn't reach), and that incl. treating the trim/gaskets/wheels. It's hard to believe 9 yr. old paint can sparkle like this.

Back