• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

messed with gears, now fluid gets hot

Tim88XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I have a factory 44 in my XJ and my pinion seal started leaking the last few weeks. Anyway, today I finished up replacing it (Took it apart and let it sit for 2 days lol) I put it all back together, Tourqed the pinion nut to 155Ftlbs, with locktight. I took it for a short 10min drive or so, and no leaks, looks great. But, while I was inspecting it I noticed it was warm to tuch, I could keep my hand on it, but it was pretty warm. Is this anything to worry about? Did I mess anything up? I was told the 44 Uses shims so I didn't have to worry about messing anything up. Maybe Im just being paranoid, but I can't afford to have my rear end blow up right now. Let me know What you think, Tim

Gears get warm -- even hot. If you didn't disturb anything, you shouldn't have messed anything up.

Did you check for the correct torque on the pinion nut? 155 ft-lbs sounds light to me -- I thought it was more like 275 but I haven't looked at the FSM for a D44 in a long time.

I don't think I disturbed anything, not on purpose atleast. How would I go about "disturbing something"? A guy locally who sets up gears told me 150ft lbs for the pinion tq and the 44 in a 98 wrangler FSM said 160ftlbs.

-Tim

Back