• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Slotted Rotors

collegeoffroad

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched around here for a while and can only really find a couple posts about using them in mud. I know quite a few guys here are from the west coast, so you probably don't see as much of the VA red clay that tends to stick to things and bring rocks with it...

opinions/experiences? I'm looking at getting a set of SP performance slotted rotors, with Carbon metallic brake pads, but just want to make sure that I'm not going to be dropping some extra $$ on something that's just going to be ruined after a few times off road. TIA for the help! :wave:

What I have seen happen with slotted rotors in mud and even water crossings is that you get a build up and/or a rock stuck, then it acts like a router on your pads. Does not happen alot and provided you don't mind changing pads is not a big issue, just remember to look at them from time to time. It will be evident as you will see a channel in the pad when looking at them from either the trailing or leading edge of them. Generally does not hurt the rotor. Personally I don't think slotted rotors in an XJ accomplish anything, pure steel rotors to me are a better bet. The composites, well, had one set replaced under a recall a few years ago and may swap them out this summer with a set I had cryogenically treated about 4 years ago. Getting near time for spring maint and will know when I get it up on stands and the wheels off....

so we've got 1 for and 1 against...anybody else want to weigh in on this one? Qtec's got a deal for either (slotted rotors + hawk brake pads) or (rotors + pads), so I'm hopin' to act quickly... :cheers:

Don't do alot of mud, but when I lifted the XJ a second time it just wouldn't stop anymore. Put on a set of TRW Power Slot DRILLED rotors and some decent pads and the effect was immediate. If your concern is stopping ability, any change that will help the brakes cool will be a be a big benefit.

again I can't speak to the effects of VA Mud/Clay, I tend to stay out of the stuff as much as possible.

I would go with slots over drilled. My slots are real deep so any mud or rocks will get knocked out. Where as the drilled could get a rcok stuck in the hole and score the pad. Mud was a concern but I haven't had any problems yet.

I have a set of Power Slots to go on, still looking for pads to use. I don't see much off-road, but I don't think it will be a problem.

I to have been thinking about getting the slotted with Hawk pads. I have heard though the grapevine the cross drilled roters are prone to cracks, but have never herd anything directly. I still think I would stay away from the drilled ones especially for off roading.

I'm running PowerSlot slotted rotors with Performance Friction pads. The difference between stock brake setup with stock tires / slotted setup and 33's is major. I will say that the braided lines that went on before the brake upgrade was an improvement alone. Now with the upgraded brakes the thing stops like I want. The pedal feel could be better though. Going with the Grand Cherokee setup is probably better but I didn't want to go that route.

Back