• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Serpintine Belt part # needed with no fan pulley.

MachineMan

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone have the part number for the shorter serpintine belt that I would need if I removed the fan pulley? I've done a search through the many electrical fan conversion threads here but no reference to the exact replacement belt needed.

It's for my 1990 4.0L ('87-'90 stock belt length is 103" or 2616mm, gates)

One option is to just unbolt the fan and leave the pulley for the belt to run on. I can't visualize at the moment the belt routing, but you may have trouble routing it properly without that pulley.

You should be able to just walk into any parts store and say you want a 6 rib belt as close to the length you have measured using string around the pulleys. The length is usually part of the part number along with the amount of ribs.
Let us know when you find the right one so I can add it to my write up for others ;)

I needed a 2050mm length 6 rib serpentine belt for my clutch fan pulley delete mod and found one exactly that length that normally fits on a Mercedes diesel engine. I need to notch the lower edge of the alternator mounting bracket to prevent it from shredding the belt but that's easily done. This is how my belt routing will look once it's done:

BELT6_mod.JPG

So you aren't having any trouble with the decreased amout of "drive" or belt contact on the alternator pulley?

Thanks,

I haven't done it yet but there should still be enough belt contact with the alternator pulley to prevent it from slipping and keep the battery charged.
My wife's BMW engine has the same amount of belt contact around the alternator pulley from the factory and there are no charging problems.

Back