• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Manifold Cleaning

Karlm

NAXJA Forum User
I finally picked up a '00 intake for my jeep. The problem is, is that it is really dirty. There is a heavy buildup of black junk on the inside of the manifold. It has almost formed a sort of tar. What is the best way to clean this piece? I am having of just having it done by someone else, but I don't really know what to ask for. I'm jonesin' to get this on so any help would be greatly appreciated.

See if they can boil it. Or see if there is a metal stripping place. here there is one that soaks it in acid for a while. Work extremely well.
HTH

try to spray it with some really good carb cleaner and scrub it with a toothbrush or something. If that dont' work mix up a tub of that simple green all purpose cleaner and let the manifold sit in there for a while. Just wondering what is the advantage of the '00 intake over the '96? is'nt the intake plenum (sp?) larger or somethign like that.

Eric

Machine shop

Any good machine shop will be able hot tank it for about 20 bucks. If not, then a can of intake cleaner, a good brush and some elbow grease.

i have boiled them before in simple green concetrate, then clean with brake or carb cleaner

You need to remove the carbon, having it tanked in solvent is a good idea. If you are set in doing it yourself use a good carb/injector cleaner. Once you get it clean use a dremel and a grinder wheel to get rid of any sharp trash castings left on there, helps the flow some. Don't get wild with it though, a bras bristle tooth brush will also help clean it.

Just leave it-

As much as i hate to say, just leave it as is. I think it happens because the extreme exhaust valve overlap on these later Jeeps that do not use an EGR valve causes reversion into the intake. When i installed a '99 intake on my '98, that '99 intake had only 8k miles on it!! Was already quite nasty inside so i spent time cleaning it out. Then when installing the Leach header 10k miles later and had the intake off was already nasty again. Has got to affect flow to a small degree but just have to live with that...is wasted effort.

Back