• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clutch question

NAXJA Forum User
I'm replacing my tbi (blown) 2.5L in my MJ with a 2.5L MPI from a 1994 YJ.

I'm also going to use the AX-5 bellhousing and external slave...and bolting it to the AX-4 which is the stock MJ tranny.

I'm guessing the clutch I should get should be for a 1994 YJ BUT I want to be sure...???

If you are using the YJ engine, YJ flywheel, and YJ bellhousing, then the YJ clutch would be the right choice.

The AX-4 and AX-5 are essentially identical, except the AX-4 doesn't have the fifth gear section in the back portion of the tranny beneath the shifter.

I'm interested in your project, because I have a TBI 4-cyl MJ too. For now it runs so I'll leave well enough alone, but I would like to know how much rewiring you find necessary to adapt the MPI from the '94 to your chassis.

Keep in touch via PM (to remind me) and I'll let you know.

I will say this though...I'm going BARE bones. The only thing I'll have in the interior are some basic guages, the steering column, and seat. As for the other wiring...it'll just be the fuel system, whatever the ECU requires, and the lighting. I just got the YJ FSM so I'll have all the diagrams etc.

Back