• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle Shaft (help ASAP)

MudslinginXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Took my jeep to get inspect and supposively the Drivers Side Rear Axle Shaft is bad. I had to replace the wheel cylinders and while i was at it i replaced the Axle seal. When i had the axle pulled it looked flawless? The guy that was inspecting it said that it was squeaking and when hitting the brake or going around a bend the squeak wasn't that bad. Anyways, im going to get the jeep home and do the rest of the work myself. My question is Where can i get an axle shaft at? Any local parts store?. It is a Dana35 c clip style axle if that helps at all. Also would it be safe to drive it home since its a c clip? Its about 9 miles away

Well, i drove the jeep home. Now i can tell ya more about what its doing. As soon as you first start movin and push down the gas it starts squeaking on the drivers side, as you go faster, the squeaking will go faster, until about 45 mph then theres no more squeak and if you let off the gas there is no more squeak. Could a lack of lubrication on the seal cause this squeak and if so will it damage anything? Hope this helps

I would think Axle bearings way before I would think the axle itself is bad.

Geepfreak said:
I would think Axle bearings way before I would think the axle itself is bad.
Except that on a 35 the axle shaft IS the inner race of the bearing. If the bearings bad it most likely took the shaft out too.

DrMoab said:
Except that on a 35 the axle shaft IS the inner race of the bearing. If the bearings bad it most likely took the shaft out too.

Good call... did not think about being a 35.....

well i replaced my axle seals last year and now again they went my axle is scored and eating up seals i found that 4 wheelers supply in Arizona know about xj's it has taken me 1 week to find some axles my local place could not and they (4 wheelers supply) have them in stock :repair:

Could my seals of went bad this quick though. I just put them in about a month ago. And only drove it a couple times. Could the seal just be noisy from lack of lubrication?

well as what i saw on my axle the smooth surface that the seal and the bearing are on mine are grooved from age and the steel it is made out of ,the new axle's are made out of a better steel call them they know xj's and i am happy

Back