• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 diff cover

ROBZ95Xj

NAXJA Forum User
I recently got a XJ D44 installed in the back of my jeep. But I don't like the way the fill hole is so low. Any one know on what vehicles I can get get a cover with a higher hole, high pinion maybe? Also is there any thing wrong with putting to much fluid in? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks Rob

a HP cover will work to raise the hole - though not sure as to what happens to an *overfull* diff

robz95xj said:
I recently got a XJ D44 installed in the back of my jeep. But I don't like the way the fill hole is so low. Any one know on what vehicles I can get get a cover with a higher hole, high pinion maybe? Also is there any thing wrong with putting to much fluid in? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks Rob
Front ford HP d44 has the fill hole way up high. There is another variation of a d44 (also front) out there which has a fill hole in between the other two. In either case the two covers are way beefier then the stock XJ d44 cover.

Over filling is a common solution to keep the pinion bearing bathed after rotating the axle. Too much oil will be beat into a froth and all that will be in the pinion area is foam. So it is possible to overfill. I use a high Pinion cover on the rear of my D-44, first time I filled it to the hole and drained it, it was all foamy. Since only fill about a cup over the 2 quart limit.

Does any one know where I can find the cover Kejtar was talking about with the hole being between the the 2? Thanks Rob

robz95xj said:
Does any one know where I can find the cover Kejtar was talking about with the hole being between the the 2? Thanks Rob
Did Chevy's come with front D44? If so I think that's what I saw it on. But you can use either one, just fill 2qt's and a little bit more.

I am using a waggy front, because its pretty thick...just ocer fill that alittle, I think a hp will be too much...also can come out the breather.

Back