• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Genuine or Superior?

UKJeeper1

NAXJA Forum User
I have to replace my R&P in the back axle. I have had quotes for a Superior and Genuine. The Genuine quote was 1/2 the superior quote. Is it 1/2 the price because its cr@p, or are Genuine any good?

Experiences, advice please.

Cheers, Tim

I have had the best luck with Precision Gear, no failures to date, i have used 8 sets so far. one set has 275,000+ miles on them, towing a 7k plus trailer 50% of the time.

91 Jeep Project said:
Yukon, great quality and price.............. :lecture:

Sure, If you like foriegn made forgings for your driveline components.

Superior has good stuff. Use dana if you can get it but Superior works fine. I'm not sold on Yukon yet, probably fine but there always that slight doubt.

I've stuck this on several boards, and it seems to be Superior all the way. More money then i need to spend, but i do believe in doing it right. I have a lot to to on a limited budget. Too many years off-roading catching up with me:

Leaking Steering box

Leaking front axle oil seal

bu@@ered front hub

bu@@ered rear pinion bearings

bu@@ered rear ring and pinion

bu@@ered outer rear axle bearings.

sigh...

cyrus said:
Sure, If you like foriegn made forgings for your driveline components.

If you live in the 50's this could be an issue for you...but it's impossible to get away from these days. It's a global economy, get used to it. ;)

ECKSJAY said:
If you live in the 50's this could be an issue for you...but it's impossible to get away from these days. It's a global economy, get used to it. ;)
Aside from the "Buy American" syndrome, which is virtually impossible to live by these days, there is a quality control issue. Genuine Gear stuff is made to lower standards than Dana-Spicer ... or Superior. As for Yukon, reports I have read suggest they buy from multiple sources and repackage, so you don't really know what you are going to get. Some folks have good luck with Yukon, but I would not buy that brand.

Eagle said:
Aside from the "Buy American" syndrome, which is virtually impossible to live by these days, there is a quality control issue. Genuine Gear stuff is made to lower standards than Dana-Spicer ... or Superior. As for Yukon, reports I have read suggest they buy from multiple sources and repackage, so you don't really know what you are going to get. Some folks have good luck with Yukon, but I would not buy that brand.

Very true, so I suppose I may have jumped the gun on that one. However, there are plenty of things made elsewhere that have great quality control. I too have heard of some past issues with Yukon, but that seems to have straightened out. My shop predominantly installs Yukon...and has yet to have a quality issue with them in several years. There's too much on the line when it comes to drivetrain components, so it something we take very seriously. While we understand they're not 'the best', we also don't sell junk. ;)

UKJeeper1 said:
I've stuck this on several boards, and it seems to be Superior all the way. More money then i need to spend, but i do believe in doing it right. I have a lot to to on a limited budget. Too many years off-roading catching up with me:

Leaking Steering box

Leaking front axle oil seal

bu@@ered front hub

bu@@ered rear pinion bearings

bu@@ered rear ring and pinion

bu@@ered outer rear axle bearings.

sigh...

My vote for the Dana/Spicer gearset as well, but it sounds like you need a ton of help from Timken as well!

Back