• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

reseating a tire on the trail

yotaparts said:
a ratchet strap will do it if you've got OBA and a friend

yup did it Saturday

while in college i worked at a Goodyear tire shop and there were a lot of stories about "back in the old days" we used lighter fluid and a match. Then they would tell you how "old billy" ripped his hand off.

If you are thinking of using lighter, starting fluid or whatever to seat a bead please use extreme caution. This idea works and can be done but it is nOT safe.

Power Tank.
Or any tank attached to a high flow regulator.

Lighter fluid is OK but starter fluid works better :laugh3: 'eyebrows, what eyebrows' you can always get em tatooed on... and use one of those LONG nosed lighters...
Personally I use a ratchet strap, though once it pops on be sure to release the strap, they can be a SOB to get off...

All I did Saturday was ratchet strap the tire around the tread and use my OBA (old a/c compressor and no tank) and fill it up till she went pummmk. My buddy yanked on the ratchet strap and the ratchet wipped back and cut his finger open.

most of the starter fluid availabe on the market today isn't flamable ENOUGH to create an explosion necessary to seat a bead, not enough either content like the old stuff. Maybe lighter fluid is i'm not sure..

But i am sure that White Rain Hair Spray in an aerosle (sp) form is..
i always keep a can in my Just-in-case box
even when a 2" ratchet strap and a dose of compressed air could not re-seat a bead a 10 second shot of White Rain & a match CAN, just ask the busted ratchet strap, maybe that should've been a 5 second shot, hmmm.. ;)

Heep said:
All I did Saturday was ratchet strap the tire around the tread and use my OBA (old a/c compressor and no tank) and fill it up till she went pummmk. My buddy yanked on the ratchet strap and the ratchet wipped back and cut his finger open.

rachet strap and butane works the best the strap holds the center of the tire while the butane reseats it. fun too have done it at least 50 times over the years.

Back