• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231 t-case not shifting into 4-low

xjjeepman

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 91 xj with a 231 t-case. I cannot get into 4-low and I've tried to adjust the linkage but can't seem to get it right.I know several jeepers who have this same problem, some of their xj's are newer than mine yet have the same problem. I was wondering if anyone can give me some insight into the problem seeing how I am at my whits end with this t-case. I just put a 5 1/2 in. lift on and am prepairing to put a SYE kit and CV style drive shaft in, so I would like to fix the darn thing while I have it taken out, or do I just need to rebiuld the t-case. I would appceciate any assistance I could get, thanks XJJEEPMAN :mad:

Manual or auto? Are you trying to shift it in gear, moving? Before changing anything else, pull the linkage off the shift lever at the t-case. Then try to shift it to low there. You may need to raise the wheels and move the driveshafts back and forth a little to make this happen. If it works that way, then the problem is in the shift linkage. Put the case in 4 high, and loosen the adjuster bolt on the linkage. Move the shifter inside through its full range, and return to 4 high, then tighten the adjuster bolt. From that point, sometimes you still have to move it a little one way or another to get full engagement.

Do you have a TC drop installed? If you do, this can cause the 4lo to not engage completely because the shift lever can not be pulled back all the way. This is caused by a bolt that holds the shift linkage being in the way.

Humm... Well pull the lever as far back to 4Lo as you can. get out and look under at the linkage. See if there is anything in the way (specifically one of the two bolts that hold the linkage to the underside of the rig) that is blocking it from engaging.

Back