• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MY death wobble is wierd

generalleexj

NAXJA Forum User
ok well i origionally had a 4.5 inch lift which consisted of 3 inch coil springs with 2 inch spacers and 4.5 inch leaf packs. then this past weekend i swapped out my 3 " springs for 4.5" ones and put 2 inch shackles in the back giving me 6 " of lift i also put longer Lower contol arms on. i still have my stock upper control arms and sometimes i get death wobble. but not like ive goten it before. i mean it just feels like when i hit a bump the front axle is a little loose or something. i rarely actually get the DEATH WOBBLE affect. but i can tell that my front axle is getting the symptoms of it. its just hard to explain its just like a minor case of it, but sometimes i still get the origional DW. but anyway my question is that are my stock Upper control arms the reason for this ? what would be the best suggestion? getting new Upper control arms , or getting DROP brackets ? i just wana get rid of this DW i hate it . thanks for your help guys. and i already tried the search but found nothing for this peticular problem. thanks

matt

oh and i almost forgot... i had an alignment done about 2 months before i put this bigger lifton my jeep. could this be the problem ??? because i didnt get one after i put the bigger lift on.

My buddy had a really bad case of death wobble with his XJ, his problem was his track bar bushing on the axle, he replaced the trackbar with an RE one and fixed it. Hope that is some help for ya.

oh yeah, sorry guys i forgot. i have a Rocky Road Outfitters Adjustable track bar with the STOCK body bracket
do you think getting Rustys HD bracket would solve this problem ? because the body side of the track bar is a LITTLE loose, i can see it move in the hole , and i was thinking maybe the HD bracket will fix it considering how it converts the ball joint to a eye hole end thing ( lol sorry i dont know the name )

From my knowledge I think it would help you out. My buddy hasn't had a problem since after installing the RE track bar. It has a poly bushing on the axle and a heim joint(that's the eye hole end thing lol) on the other end, so maybe getting a track bar with the heim joint might be the way to go?

wait a minute. im talking about the HD bracket that converts the BODY mount to the same type of mount as on the axle ? i dont think this is the " heim " jiont. because if a heim joint is the ball jiont that goes UP through the hole and a castle nut w/ cotter pin goes on top. then i ALREADY have that, and my thought was if i get the conversion to the HD bracket then that would solve it.

Just a question for you.

I read everything I can find on the net about "death wobble."

There is a member only (for some reason) tech article here about it that is pretty comprehensive.

I'm wondering if you really have death wobble. It's said that it will "shake the jelly in your eyeballs" or "make change fly up and out of the cup holder" and other such voilent things. I'm also told that "you can't feel it coming, it's either violent death wobble or just vibes"

Now I get some vibes at about 85, mostly due to my tire choice I think (MTs). And I only went that fast once. But it wasn't bad, and there was no feeling of "loss of control" like in DW.

I don't understand it fully, but it's something to do with two rotating masses getting in some kind of harmonic vibe on either end of a solid axle. XJs, lifted or not, as with any solid axle vehicle can have it, according to what I've read. Again, I'm just trying to learn myself, and maybe it's something else that's less expensive to get rid of.....

If you really have DW, be safe! Hope you find the cause.

Back