• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TPS problems??

gixer

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I have been having a problem on and off but more on now than any thing,
As I am accelerating and hit 3grand she will bog down and want to die. Some times she will die. But most of the time she will drop down in rpms then come back up then drop down again. It was doing it on wide open throttle but now will do it even if I don’t have the peddle to the floor, I was towing my trailer the other day and no problems what so ever. Then the next day with no trailer it was back. Could it be the TPS?? Is there a way to clean the TPS?
Or could it be a fuel delivery problem?
There are no fault codes so I am at a lose.
Here is what I have replaced recently:
Upstream O2 sensor
Computer temp control sensor
Cap
Rotor
Plugs
Wires
Thanks for any input.

I wish you had posted how many miles on your XJ. Sounds like the classical "cutting out" experienced when I drove a 69 Camero with points and condensor.

It could be a fuel deliery/pressure problem along with a list of other things. I changed my TPS at 125K miles and it did help throttle response. If you have over 100K on the TPS then replacement in my opinion would be "routine maintenance". No, you can not clean a TPS.

Last edited:
sean883 said:
My 98 with 110,000 miles is doing something similiar, have you found out the problem yet?

Hey
I think it’s a fuel pump problem. I changed the TPS for the heck of it and it will still cut out on me. My fuel gauge does not really work so I don’t really know how much fuel is in the tank when it starts to give me problems. But I think it’s the fuel pump.
I towed my trailer for 200 miles up big hills and what not and as long as I kept the fuel level up in the tank she was fine. One other thing is that with the trailer on the back the back of the jeep sat a little lower. I a am thinking that it’s the fuel pump heating up or not picking up the fuel. May be the screen is full of junk. I don’t know but that was the only other change I had made. It took me 4 hours due to all the traffic and normally I would never have made it. I figured I would go and see how she made out and I got all the way to where I needed to be with no problems. So it has to be in the tank.

gixer said:
Hey
I think it’s a fuel pump problem. I changed the TPS for the heck of it and it will still cut out on me. My fuel gauge does not really work so I don’t really know how much fuel is in the tank when it starts to give me problems. But I think it’s the fuel pump.
I towed my trailer for 200 miles up big hills and what not and as long as I kept the fuel level up in the tank she was fine. One other thing is that with the trailer on the back the back of the jeep sat a little lower. I a am thinking that it’s the fuel pump heating up or not picking up the fuel. May be the screen is full of junk. I don’t know but that was the only other change I had made. It took me 4 hours due to all the traffic and normally I would never have made it. I figured I would go and see how she made out and I got all the way to where I needed to be with no problems. So it has to be in the tank.

Have you changed the fuel filter recently? When you catch it acting like this you could pull the main fuel supply line and see if it will deliver at least a quart/minute into a container? I've never had a fuel pump problem yet at over 260k miles, bought XJ with 83k.

I've also read about a pickup sock, tube or something that one fella reported falling off the pump assembly inside the tank. His problems came and went with fuel level.

On the 97 like mine the fuel filter is a filter regulator on top of the tank and the tank has to be droped to get to it. This is my 4th xj and this one have the least amount of miles on it. I dont know I guess I am just going to have to drop the tank and take a look and see what is going on in there.

Ive got a 97 Xj with about 92 thousand miles on it and its doing the exact same thing. If any one can figure this out please tell. I took mine to a jeep dealership and they said it was the fuel pump. 1600.00 to fix. When I shake my jeep I can hear something ratteling inside tank. Im at a loss. Ive been on other automotive sites and its seams to be a COMMON problem. No one has said yet how to fix or what was causing this epidemic.

Well I tell ya this. I thinks its the fule pump. You can get every thing you need to replace all the itmes in the tank from the dealer for 368.00. Well that is what I was quoted.
fuel filter/ regulator
fuel pump
fuel guage sending unit
and the pick up screen are all included in that price.

Back