• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lift kit's???

sandaholic

NAXJA Forum User
I've been trying do a lot research and it seem's that the rough country 4.5" is going to be the best for my money.Anyone ever use them?Or have any suggestion's or problem's after a lift kit was installed?Thank's for the tips

sandaholic said:
I've been trying do a lot research and it seem's that the rough country 4.5" is going to be the best for my money.Anyone ever use them?Or have any suggestion's or problem's after a lift kit was installed?Thank's for the tips

I think you need to do more research or get more money

LIft size needed
budget
year of xj
type of trails
tire size

alittle more info might jsut help us help you

Money isnt the issue but why spend more if not needed!!!!Trail's are sand dunes and some muddin no rock's around here.I want to run a 31" tire on a 2000 xj.I am trying to get more info but your rudeness didnt help.I'm new to the jeep thing and dont claim to or never will know it all.

sandaholic said:
Money isnt the issue but why spend more if not needed!!!!Trail's are sand dunes and some muddin no rock's around here.I want to run a 31" tire on a 2000 xj. I am trying to get more info but your rudeness didnt help. I'm new to the jeep thing and dont claim to or never will know it all.

what rudeness. we need more info in which to help and Rough Country stuff is total junk! Ive seen too many of thier parts fail.

If money is no object buy Rubicon express superflex or super ride both will give you superior onroad and offroad experience over the rough country junk and last for as long as you own your jeep. dont skimp on lift componants! You will get what you pay for. or pay for what you get!

Thank you for the input thats what I was looking for was just the truth.With that being known I surely wont go with rough country.I appreciate the tips on other brand's as well...

4.5" is not necessary for 31" tires. especially if you aren't going to be flexing and just running some dunes/mud

go for one of the 3.5" RE kits or the 3" rusty's kit. you don't want to put yourself too far up in the air if you're going to be jumping dunes and stuff...do yourself a favor and either run a bigger tire or lower lift.

hell with average trimming there are guys running 32's with budget boosts (2" lift) around here, and they DO flex.

if it were me, and i was just looking to shoot dunes..i'd trim, run an RE 3.5" superride kit and go with 32 x11.50's

$.02

Hi. Pretty much a newbie to the whole XJ thing myself.

Many folks will tell you that you need a slip yoke eliminator and custom drive shaft to lift an XJ -- especially a late model one like yours. I tend to agree, while I'm no expert at all. It's not just the "vibrations" it's the life of the drive line -- even with a small lift.

I've also recently found that protection and recovery items can be a surprising cost you don't expect unless you go junkyard for some of the stuff. You'll want tow hooks up front, a class III hitch in back is nice for a rear recovery point, and then there's the skids for the gas tank and T-case (at least).

So remember it ain't just the lift cost you need to figure in. Have fun and tread lightly.

sandaholic said:
Do you have a link or a site name for the rusty's???By the way thank's for the tips...

www.rustysoffroad.com

If i were you, just running the dunes and some mudding, get the rustys 3 inch kit with the full leaf packs, you'll achieve a bit more then 3 inches, and it rides real nice on the road. And its not too expensive!

Don't rule out the junkyard!

I just got a set of rear leafs from a 2000 XJ with an add a leaf rear...

so newer leafs with an add a leaf.

Then a set of procomp shocks for the rear..

I got a set of OEM Jeep Mud flaps to keep the gravel from flying up.. as well as the correct brackets and screws...

I also Got a rear hitch and some rear OEM thread strips to mount the hitch on my pre 1996 XJ......

ALL...... for..... 90$...

I'm not sure how good the leafs or the shocks are.... The Jeep I got them off of was rolled a bit... but the didn't look kinked or bent.... for 90.... you really can't complain... the hitch and add a leaf would have been easily 200$...

Visit and cherish your local junk yard...

i like rusty's and i like RE....RE is more expensive but i think their parts are a little sturdier...then again, rusty's customer service is impeccable, and if you talk to rusty himself, you'll likely get a better deal especially with shipping.

that being said...the junkyard IS a good and cheap source. if you can find a set of used 3" springs for the front, you can even it out by building custom rear packs using late model daodge dakota leaf packs combined with you stock cherokee packs. this is especially easy for newer models since you dont have leaf sag and shouldn't have much trouble getting the packs apart.

only thing necessary beyond that is some longer shocks and maybe relocating your brake lines a little lower to gain some safety when you droop.

for the most part...USUALLY anything under 4" doesn't need an SYE...97+ will tend to need one around 4-4.5" and 96- will need one around 5". rule of thumb anyway

IF you're serious about the whole thing...the sawzall IS your friend...trim your fenders, relocate your flares if you wish or buy some aftermarket ones, and run larger tires with lower lift for stability. especially since you seem to want to do kind of a prerunner (sand/mud) type rig and will likely be tooling around at moderate to high speeds. :lecture: good luck bro

I did LOTS of searching before I bought my lift. I ended up with the Rubicon Express 3.5 superflex. I love it. I run 32x11.5x15 tires. I trimmed and am making some BIG bumpstops for the rear so I can run factory flares.

I have run Silverlake, MI dunes. In fact, I will be there memorial day. You?

Here are some lame Dune pics. http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeBMmLJy4atXIA

I got my RE lift for alot less than most pay for "cheaper" kits. Call Dirk at DPGoffroad.com He is great. I spent the money on the OME shocks.... nice. Also H-n-tap, DS, etc.

good luck,
Jason

I am going to try and be there memorial weekend just not sure yet because of insane work schedule.Those pics with all the water look like they are from the 4th of july up ther last year are they?By the way I'm actually getting married up there this year on the weekend of the 4th of july...

Actually Labor day. That was my first trip there, so it was normal to me, but alot of people were talking about how much water there was.

My buds are rolling into town sat early am, I will come to camp sat night, wheel on sun/mon.

Do you live close? Or do you have any connections for vouchers?

What are you thinking about the lift kit?

See ya there,
Jason

No I am like 4 1/2 hours away but its worth the drive to me I would be there every weekend if I could afford to be.As far as the vouchers go the best tip I could give is always be there early on friday to get vouchers for the weekends.There isnt really anyway to get them any better than that I've tried every other alternative and that one works best.I am thinking of going with re or rusty's 3" lift,from what I've read on here they seem to be the best two choices.

Back