• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Turn Signal Issue

cykaaro

NAXJA Forum User
Seems my left hand turn signal decided to suddenly act up last night. When signalling, it works without issue, but when I turn, it no longer shuts itself off. The rightside works as it should. I have no idea where to start to troubleshoot what the problem is that is causing this at all. Is it an easy fix I can do myself? or does my steering column have to be opened up? Should I just go into the dealership to get this taken care of? How much am I looking at getting it fixed?
I'm still quite a newbie to my XJ, and although I can and have done a lot to it, this one is over my head at the moment.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

'90 Pioneer with tilt column. Left signal direction has always been a bit stiffer than the right signal direction.

TIA

Inside the column, under the wheel, is a plastic cam that controls the cancelling feature. That has probably cracked. It's available in the HELP! blister-pack parts area of all the major auto parts chains. Yours is a 1990 so you have a GM steering column.

Thanks Eagle. I'll try to find. I know a couple parts stores around I can go to and see if they have.

How hard is it to get to the wheel and replace it? Os there a how to on how to do it? What special tools will I need, other than a steering wheel puller?

Sorry for all the questions. Would rather do it myself If I can and it's something I can do without screwing up at all.

thanks for the help!

One two of my XJs, I had the same problem and both times it was a broken spring in the cancelling mechanism. I scrounged replacement springs at the local pull-a-part for $1. I think the whole cancelling mechanism will cost much more. You'll need a steering wheel puller and a lock spring compressor tool. The same steering column is used on many many GM cars so the parts and tools are easy to find. My harmonic balancer puller worked fine on the steering wheel. I can now do the replacement in about 15 minutes once I collect the tools and parts but the right tools are the key.

PaulJ said:
One two of my XJs, I had the same problem and both times it was a broken spring in the cancelling mechanism. I scrounged replacement springs at the local pull-a-part for $1. I think the whole cancelling mechanism will cost much more. You'll need a steering wheel puller and a lock spring compressor tool. The same steering column is used on many many GM cars so the parts and tools are easy to find. My harmonic balancer puller worked fine on the steering wheel. I can now do the replacement in about 15 minutes once I collect the tools and parts but the right tools are the key.

Thanks. Will hit the wreckers tomorrow and see what they have. Never hurts. I'm just afraid of getting the thing apart and then in way over my head. I'm screwed if I can't get it back together again. Was enough problems with the console when my brother was replacing the starter switch. At least there a good friend of his is a mechanic.

Back